Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Service with a Smile

My new sis-in-law Patty is in the hospital and has been there since Sunday night. We don't know when she will be able to come home. Sad. I talked to her this morning and she said they might let her come home today but she wasn't sure. She is the best thing that has happened to Tom's brother and our family in a long time. We all love her so much. So after I talked to her there was only one thing to do.......go clean her house and get it ready for her return.
When I have been in the hospital, or have been sick it makes me feel so much better to have a clean house. The stress is lifted right off my shoulders and I don't feel the pressure to get up and clean. I can lay there without guilt and recuperate. So I got on the phone and called my other sis-in-laws and Elena and I headed over. (Sue wasn't home and Colette is in MO)We piled the kids in the car and made the 25 min. drive. I had so much fun cleaning her house. Now don't get me wrong, I am not normally a "happy cleaner" but when I am doing service for someone and I know that it will make that person happy, it just makes me smile. We didn't have much time, so Elena worked on the kitchen, I did a few loads of laundry and swept all the hard wood floors, vacuumed and tidied up a little. I wish we could have cleaned the bathroom and gotten all the laundry done and put away. We left her with a vase of flowers and a tidy house. I left with a happy heart and spring in my step. The kids even had fun because they got to play with Zoe the dog. A win win situation.
What I learned from this experience is that I need to look for more ways to do service. I have gotten into a rut and since I am in a new ward at church where I don't know a lot of people, I have fallen out of the habit of doing service. I realized today that helping others makes me happy and I need to do it more often.
Hopefully Patty will be able to come to Cassidy's baptism. This would be her 1st and she is so looking forward to it!

No comments: