Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Homemade Pizza Night Again!

We had homemade pizza again tonight per the families request. They really enjoyed it last week when I made it (after not making it for about 7 years). I thought I would post the recipe since it was such a hit! (this recipe was given to me by Amanda Kost. Every recipe I have gotten from her has been sooooo good!)

Pizza Dough - 2 medium pizza's or 5-6 mini pizza's
1 Tbl. dry yeast
1 C. warm water
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbl. olive oil
3-31/2 C. flour

dissolve yeast in warm water, let sit while mixing the other ingredients.
add sugar, salt, oil and 2 C. of the flour, add water/yeast slowly.
beat until smooth then add the rest of the flour to make a stiff dough.

Let sit for about an hour or until double in size
(in AZ this is about 1/2 the time because it's so hot!)

Knead the dough then roll out. If I'm making personal size pizzas, I knead the dough then roll it into a tube, cutting it into as many sections as I need. Then I pass the dough to the kids and they roll it out into whatever shape their little heart desires. (make sure they roll their dough out on the cookie sheet since it's hard to move once it's in their personal little shape!)

I also put all the pizza ingredients out in bowls and let the kids do their thing. We like: pineapple, olives, peperoni, green bell peppers fresh sliced tomatoes and lots of cheese!!!!

Bake at 500 on bottom rack for 10-15 min.
You can also cook these on the grill!


I just kind of made up the pizza sauce after looking at a few on line. This is what I did, sorry it's vague:
Tomato sauce
Italian seasoning - lots
crushed red peppers - a little
salt and pepper - medium amount
basil - lots - I love basil!
garlic (fresh or powder works)- lots!
you can do this to taste. Don't be afraid, it's easy!!!

My favorite flavors of pizza:

Basil, tomato, mozzarella pizza
Pesto veggie pizza
BBQ chicken pizza (great way to use up last nights chicken)
Chicken, lime and cilantro pizza (my ultimate favorite!)

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Cara, I love that you guys make homemade pizzas! Thanks for posting the recipe! When I'm back on my feet we're totally going to copy you guys!

Webb Family said...

sounds yummy, we will have to try it! thanks for the recipe.

Crazymamaof6 said...

wow sounds super yummy, i might even have to give it a try! in my kitchen aid! keep inspiring me, my husband is loving it!

Erin said...

I think Jack would love making his own pizza so one of these days we are going to have try it. Thanks for the recipe.

Lindsey said...

that sounds so good. thanks for the recipe.