Thursday, December 13, 2007

Christmas Tradition #3

Christmas Lights



This is my very first year with Christmas lights on our house. Yes, I'm going to be 36 in a week and it's my first time. Why now you ask? Well, let me give you the reasons:

1. We never had them growing up. Not sure why really. Maybe it wasn't a thing in CA.

2. I only like Christmas lights if they are white and perfectly straight. I can't stand crooked lights. Sorry. It must be an OCD thing. So, when we got married Tom and I agreed that we wouldn't have lights because we both like them straight and he wasn't going to do straight. There you have it.

3. Since we moved onto this festive street where everyone has lights but us (and the person next door but she doesn't actually live there so she doesn't count) I have felt the pressure. This year one of my neighbors asked us (as she was putting up her lights on Thanksgiving) why we don't do lights. I gave her my reason and I don't think the likes my answer. Ooops.

4. Then I thought....what if my neighbors think Mormons don't do Christmas lights? More pressure.

5. Every year the girls ask for lights. In the past we have had no problem saying NO! This year I had a little nagging MAYBE in my head that I did not voice.

6. Finally I had the brilliant idea to SURPRISE my family with lights. Icicle lights. And I got fancy. The white icicle lights have red tips. So they are candy cane icicle lights. They are easy and don't need to be perfectly straight. (I kinda wish they would be but they aren't made that way). So I had my handy man come over and trim my roses AND put up the Christmas lights.

7. The surprise on the girls faces was better than Christmas! It was worth every crooked light!

8 comments:

idahohubers said...

This is the only way I'll get christmas lights up - hire out! Neither Jake or I want to hang them. I don't remember ever having lights up on the family house .... then we all move out and Dad goes and hangs lights! No fair. I'm glad you didn't wait that long.

Jill said...

Last year was our first year with Christmas lights so I know what you mean (I was 35), but I love, love, love having them up. Our kids want more outdoor decorations though, so they still don't think it's enough. I'm NOT buying an illuminated polar bear!

Erin said...

We never had lights on our house as a kid either. I agree with you about the white perfectly straight lights, its the only way to go. Ryan puts our lights and does a great job (you should come see it)

Anonymous said...

Your house looks beautiful...KT

THE Bridesmaid said...

Your tree looks awesome! I am with you on straight lights :)

Webb Family said...

That's what I'm going to do next year hire someone! I did put a small tree by the door & my kiddos have not asked or maybe they have given up! Mike put up lights one year & they looked pretty bad but I couldn't complain after all the begging!!

Megan said...

way to take one for the team! I hate crooked lights too but I have managed to suck it up and just not look. You know the old saying "if you will be annoyed just don't look" or maybe it is "if you don't have anything nice to say...."

Crazymamaof6 said...

whoohoo! love it! i hate crooked lights too,but that is how lance rolls , so i deal, or i'd have to do it myself. i'm sure they were thrilled! and so cute!