Monday, January 7, 2008

Simplify

I have been thinking for many weeks about what my word this year would be. Several went through my head without me really feeling anything. Then the word SIMPLIFY came to mind. A light went off. This was my word.

I have always made gaols at the first of the year with real intentions on doing them. However after a few weeks or months with the day to day challenges I fall back into my old habits. Last year was the first time I had ever heard of this one word idea from Ali Edwards. I chose a word and I know I am a better person because of that one word. Think. I have learned a ton of new things on the computer, I have become better at taking pictures, I have been able to focus on my feelings more and write things down I would have never even thought to share. I have also met so many wonderful people who truly inspire me each and every day! Ü

This year I want to focus on the simple things in life. Family, self, time. I always feel so busy yet never seem to get anything done. I was telling my neighbor Diane about the "one word for the year" idea and told her mine was Simplify. She walked right into her office and came out with a book by Carolyn J. Rasmus called,

Simplify a guide to caring for the soul.

I took it home and skimmed thought the first few pages. I cannot tell you how perfect this book is for me right now, at this very moment of my life.

Page 5 paragraph 2 reads:

Since those early beginnings to improve my life and make increasingly more effective, I have come to believe that to simplify our lives goes beyond mere management of outside interferences, such as interrupting phone calls and hectic schedules; it is far more than organizing closets or cleaning out unwanted or unused things that clutter our homes. To simplify is about enhancing our ability to focus on things that really matter, to deliberately choose our priorities, and to refuse to let unimportant things take over the things of real importance.

*****

That paragraph jumped off that page. It was exactly what I have been feeling and needing to do with my life. I have also been blessed this past week with an ability to have no emotional ties to anything in this house. That has been hard for me these last two years because I have so much of my parents things stuffed into ever crook and cranny of this house. I have felt freed this week and have gone through three rooms and de-junked without any feelings of guilt. I love walking into a room knowing that every area is clean. Even the parts you can't see!!!

Throughout this book there are quotes that I have fallen in love with and will post over time. She also breaks down the word Simplify and talks about each letter:

S-stillness

I-integrity

M- mercy

P- prune

L- let go

I-impossible

F- fortify

Y -you

I can definitely feel that this is going to be a good year for me and my family.

One last quote from the book Simplify:

Our priorities determine what we seek in life. (Dallin H. Oaks)

7 comments:

Lizzy said...

Look at everything you started! You are amazing and I love that i know you :) I love your word and everything it means. I need to get with it and explain why i picked the word i did. Awesome linky list!

Andrea said...

That is so neat that she had the perfect book for you! Love the quotes! Esp the last one! It goes with the word I've been thinking about for me! You are amazing & have inspired probably more than you realize! Thanks!

AddiEphriaMom said...

That is AWESOME cara! i am so excited to try this and see where it takes me this year. i also do not like setting goals for fear of failure. this is a perfect solution for me! thanks! now i just need to post my word....i have one all picked out. i can't wait!!

crystal said...

I love that paragraph--absolutely LOVE IT. I'm adding it to my favorite quotes. This concept of simplify--especially how you describe its meaning to you--just correlates perfectly with Elder H. Oakes "Good, Better, Best" talk! That talk is now a foundation for me. You really ARE going to have a good year! I can't wait to read your posts about it as the year progresses.

I still can't pin down my word. Argh!

idahohubers said...

I jumped on board with 52 blessings. I can use a little extra gratitude in my life. Proud of you for the de-junking. You just broke thru generations of pack rats! I'm still workin' on that myself.

Megan said...

Can I just steal your word? It sounds like a perfect theme for my life!
You are quite inspiring. keep it up!

Aprilyn said...

That is a good word for me too. It reminds me of a talk in General Conference...I think it was Dallin H. Oaks. He talked about good, better, best and how we need to do the BEST things first and then let the rest fall into place when they can.
Thanks for posting this stuff on simplify.