Sunday, February 3, 2008

52 Blessing's Project Week #5

This week I am thankful for:
President Gordon B. Hinckley

Today for Relief Society at church we had our own little memorial for this wonderful man. We talked of his acomplishments and honors, awards and medals. We shared stories and special quotes that had touched our lives. I was asked to share a quote from him that was meaningful to me. When I was asked to do this I knew immediately which one I was going to do. It has been on the sidebar of Dancing Queens blog for a long time and I thought I would just go copy it and share it today. This morning I got up made breakfast, cleaned up and went to the computer to get that quote. It was gone! I then spent the next hour searching for quotes that I felt had meaning for me. I finally found that special quote when I had the idea to search DQs blog. Thank heaven she posted about it! So I am posting my four favorite quotes from President Hinckley who has inspired and touched so many lives in his 97 years.
****
Truly, my dear young friends, you are a chosen generation. I hope you will never forget it. I hope you will never take it for granted. I hope there will grow in your hearts an overpowering sense of gratitude to God, who has made it possible for you to come upon the earth in this marvelous season of the world's history.
Gordon B. Hinckley (1910 - ) Source: Friend June, 1992, “They Spoke to Us”
****

"Now, my brethren and sisters, the time has come for us to stand a little taller, to lift our eyes and stretch our minds to a greater comprehension and understanding of the grand millennial mission of this The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This is a season to be strong. It is a time to move forward without hesitation, knowing well the meaning, the breadth, and the importance of our mission. It is a time to do what is right regardless of the consequences that might follow. It is a time to be found keeping the commandments. It is a season to reach out with kindness and love to those in distress and to those who are wandering in darkness and pain. It is a time to be considerate and good, decent and courteous toward one another in all of our relationships. In other words, to become more Christlike"
Gordon B. Hinckley - Gen. Conf. 1995 Apr.
****
"Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he has been robbed. The fact is that most putts don’t drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to be just like people, most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, and most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. Life is just like an old time rail journey ... delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride."Gordon B. Hinckley

****
"To you women of today, who are old or young, may I suggest to you that you write, that you keep journals, that you express your thoughts on paper. Writing is a great discipline. It is a tremendous education effort. It will assist you in various ways, and you will bless the lives of many--now and in the years to come, as you put on paper some of your experiences and some of your musings." --President Gordon B. Hinckley

****
This last quote is the quote I shared today. Journaling has changed the way I look at life. It makes me stop and notice the little things and commit them to memory so I can write them down and save those precious memories. It has made me smarter, a better writer and has improved my spelling and grammar tremendously. I am not perfect. I don't pretend to be--but if I can share the good things in my life and learn from the bad then I have become better. And President Hinckley always said, "Do your Best!"

13 comments:

Andrea said...

I wish I could've been in your RS class. That would've been really special! I LOVE all of those quotes!! I can almost hear his voice while I was reading them. Thanks for sharing! Excellent post today!!

Holly said...

Since our church was canceled because of snow, thank you for these great thoughts. He was such a remarkable man.

Erin said...

I wish I had been in Relief Society, although I did enjoy nursery with Sara.

Laurie said...

Wow, a lot of those I had not heard before. The third one down was very much suited for me today.

Lori said...

It was a great lesson, and so nice to hear everyone share their special thoughts on him! Thanks for sharing yours. :)

Dancin Queen said...

Your RS sounds awesome today. I bet a lot of women needed a chance to talk about him and remember him in such a happy way. I know I did, that's why I've blogged so much about him.

I thought it made my sidebar easier to read if I just put a link. If you click on where it says "why I blog" it will take you to those posts.

Sorry to let you down today! =)

carrie & troy keiser said...

Excellent post! I really enjoyed the funeral services on Sat. For this prophet of God!

Cindy said...

Thanks for sharing Cara. I loved the quotes. Can't you just hear his voice when you read his words. I can. He will be missed!!

Lizzy said...

It was a great lesson. Thank you ofor sharing your thoughts,you did a great job!

Webb Family said...

This was my blessing for the week too! I love all your quotes, great idea.

Emy5 said...

Thank you so much for sharing these quotes. I wanted to put a quote on my blog, and tried searching, but I had no luck. Great to read, thanks!

THE Bridesmaid said...

I love those quotes...great post!

Amz said...

What a great post! I am finally caught up my my 52 blessings project! I plan to stay on top of it now! Thanks again for the great idea.