Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Climbing Roses

A few of my friends have asked about my roses over my front door and wanted to know how I accomplished this great feat. I have to admit that I did not plant these, nor train them up and over the arch. I have to thank the previous owner for that. I have however, not killed the roses in the past 2 1/2 years since I moved in and I have had to reattach the roses after a huge wind storm that brought one whole side leaning forward trying to grab you as you walked by. I wish this picture had the roses in full bloom since that is my favorite part but I missed the big explosion with my camera (sorry).
The roses are yellow climbers. If you are thinking of having climbing roses any variety will do - EXCEPT...I repeat EXCEPT Lady Banks. Do not buy this rose unless you want it to completely cover your entire house. I'm not kidding. It says - will grow 20 ft - NOPE more like 200 ft. So stay away!!! Also my roses are attached with these little beauties above that are glued right to the stucco and are very strong. I found them at Home Depot for a few dollars and have used them all over my block walls for my climbing vines and have added some for extra support on the roses over the door. While at Home Depot pick up some Super Bloom plant food. It works wonders on getting flowers to bloom even if it's not time for them to bloom!
The end result is amazing in my book. Yellow roses to greet you when you walk up to the front door of Garden View Cottage. Perfect!



Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

they are Lovely!

thanks for the great info!

cindylou said...

Wow -- they are gorgeous, Cara! Can you tell me what grows like that in CO?? :o) Better yet, can you come and just turn my yard into a Garden of Eden like yours?? :o) Thanks.

Webb Family said...

So beautiful! You are so talented. The other day I forgot to give you eggs you need to drop by and get some.

carrie & troy keiser said...

Very pretty!

Lori said...

I have always loved your roses above your door! Way to keep them nice and healthy, and ALIVE. (I have a hard time keeping plans outside my door alive.)

Bits Of Becca said...

What a beautiful entry to walk up to. I wouldn't even know where to start for my house. It makes me want to have more plants around my yard however.

pam said...

I think you would have bought that house even if you hated it just because you were greeted by roses.

Good think you liked it and it had a pool!!!

Anny said...

How beautiful! You have always been good at getting things grow. When I get serious about this I will be calling you about this subject too!

Think Pink said...

Your roses are beautiful! Looks like you are a natural gardener! Sorry I missed the picnic yesterday - I went on the field trip the day before - couldn't get 2 days in a row off! It would have been nice to chat with you. ;)Let's definitely get together this summer!

onehm said...

Awesome flowers...just what I would expect at Cara's Cottage!!

idahohubers said...

I love that your house looks so lush even in the desert! I can't picture a cottage with cactus and rocks. It's just wrong to have rocks for a yard! I never did get used to that.

Crystal Star said...

Okay be honest, did you buy the house for the rose entrance :)
Really when you said you were buying a tract home, I was so suprised- until I saw it with all the details. The rose entrance is beautiful. My roses are beautiful too by the way (and thanks again). Blooming here ends around Mother's Day, but they are huge this year!

Brandi said...

All your plants look so great! I need your help!!