Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Eating and Snacking

In this day and age of healthy eating I am always on the lookout for health snacks. I am somewhat torn between all natural/organic things and low fat/lower sugar options. I do like to read a label and know exactly what each item is. I try and buy things that are healthy and yummy because no matter how healthy it is if it's gross and it sits on the shelf for ten years what's the point.

This post is to give some yummy things that we like to eat AND can read everything on the label.

Fritos - ingredients: corn, corn oil, and salt. This is my kind of list!!! The only draw back is the 160 cal. 10 g of fat and 1 fiber. However that is for 32 chips - a healthy portion. I love these on chili. It makes the dish that much better!
Honey Comb: whole grain corn flour, sugar, corn flour, whole grain oat flour, honey, salt, yellow #5. O.k. the yellow #5 is questionable but everything else is o.k. with me. My kids think they are eating sugar cereal (hee, hee) and I am happy with 130 calories, 1 g of fat, 2 fibers and 10 sugars.
Sun Chips: Whole Corn, Sunflower Oil, Whole Wheat, Rice Flour, Whole Oat Flour, Sugar, and Salt. These my friends are good and good for you. My favorite chip of choice. Added benefit - no dairy!
Fiber One Granola Bars - these have things on the label that I can't pronounce. At 140 calories, 4 g of fat and 9 GRAMS OF FIBER I don't care what's on the label. 9 grams of fiber and these little suckers are GOOD!!!! That makes up for a few unknowns in the ingredients. What do you think?
IZZY Sparkling Juice - I love these!! I have always loved sparkling juice since I was a kid. My brother and I used to choose it over soda. The sad thing is neither of us can remember what the name of it was and I know of only one place that sells it now. Izzy has got my vote for sparkling juice and it's everywhere and in lots of different flavors.

O.K. so now that you know my weird way of thinking and snacking.

What are your favorite snacks?

14 comments:

Erin said...

Thanks for the tips on the yummy snacks. I like JoJo cookies from Trader Joes, they are like oreos only better. Not necessarily good for you but at least they are made from all natural ingredients.

Jenifer said...

You are so good. I like to snack on Dr. Pepper :]

Think Pink said...

Our favorite little "unhealthy" snack are Go-Tarts. The boys love 'em. Our favorite "healthy" snack are vanilla Special K Snack Bites. YUMMY! :)

Nicki Mann said...

Wow, I was surprised to see that Fritos were on the list... I always assumed they were full of junk! But I knew about SunChips... they're my FAVORITE! (Except, lately have you noticed they taste saltier than usual?)

crystal said...

I am a sucker for Dreyer's Mint Chip ice cream. And lately, being pregnant, everything is my favorite snack.

As long as it includes being washed down with some sort of beverage on the rocks...PEBBLE ICE!!!

Dancin Queen said...

We love snacking on stawberries, and microwave popcorn.

Bits Of Becca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bits Of Becca said...

I think I might have some new snacks in my pantry!!! I like the no sugar added Blue Bunny fudgcicles and microwave popcorn.

Anny said...

I love cookies and candy for snacks but I am trying to minimize those and each bananas, clementines, pretzels and granola bars instead (the ones with fruit and nuts). I do love SunChips and have to have Fritos on my chili also. Not a good day to talk about snacks, the junk won. Maybe I'll do better tomorrow, thanks to your post :)

Jennifer said...

Apples and PB. There's this natural PB with flax seed in it.... yummy! I'll bring some over.

THE Bridesmaid said...

Have you tried the 100 calorie packs of the oreo candies? They are delish!
Also, I like Cliff Bars.
Of course, the Diet Dr Pepper is THE BEST snack during happy hour at Sonic :)

Laurie said...

I love Izzy too!

I like to snack on raw nuts - a little high in fat, but it's the good kind and they have all sorts of other benefits. And popcorn -- air popped with just enough butter to make it good!

Great suggestions - thanks!!

Let Your Hair Down said...

ahhh all sounds yummmy! Then again everything sounds yummy to me right now-I have zero self control while i am prego! You did such a great job with SSS- thank you so much. You are pefect for the job! I also would love your recipe for the drink you served-i keep craving it. Your awesome-thanks again!

Susan said...

Thanks for the great idea for good snacks. I have been trying again to eat better. Hope you have a great day!