Here are two things that I forgot to mention about leaving comments on others blogs and some other blogging tips and tricks:
1. The 1st thing you should do right now (if you haven't already) is go into CUSTOMIZE (up there in the top right hand corner of your blog) and then click SETTINGS, Then click COMMENTS scroll down 3/4 down and click YES on SHOW COMMENTS IN A POP UP WINDOW. By doing this when someone leaves you a comment and wants to go back to your blog it will only be 1 click on the X instead of 3 clicks trying to get back. Believe me when I tell you....This Is A MUST!
2. While you are there on this comments page you can also decide whether you want to have the word verification when someone leaves a comment. Totally up to you - however it IS an extra step for the commenter and might deter them from leaving a comment. Your choice though. (I do not have word verification-so you now know my personal feelings on this subject Ü)
3. Stay right there on the SETTINGS / COMMENTS page and scroll all the way to the bottom where it says COMMENT NOTIFICATION EMAIL. This is where you need to put in your e-mail for two reasons:
1. By having your e-mail listed every time someone comments on ANY of your blog posts whether it be today's or 3 months ago you will get an e-mail with the comment left. Brilliant isn't it? No more checking all those posts to see if you have gotten any new comments.
2. Having your e-mail listed is very helpful when you receive said e-mail comments because if you want to respond back to the person leaving you the comment all you have to do is hit REPLY on your e-mail and you can answer back just to them and you know for sure they got it! I did have a question about what to do if you don't want to have your regular e-mail out there for the world to see and here is my answer - I haven't had an issues with it but if you still feel uneasy about it set up a free g-mail, yahoo, or hotmail account just for your blog.
4. Now go back up to the top and click on EMAIL which is still in the SETTINGS TAB but over to the right. Do you see where it says BlogSendAddress? This is where you can add e-mails of friends and family who might want to be sent an e-mail whenever you update your blog. This is handy if your husband is gone a lot and he likes to read the blog to catch up on the things he has missed.
5. Make sure your blog title link is on your profile. This is important (even if you have a private blog) so when you leave a comment - the person can click on your name and be directed to your blog. I have gotten comments from people but then don't know who they are because I can't link back. You can do this by going into DASHBOARD then click on EDIT MY PROFILE then click on SHOW MY BLOGS. If you have more than one you can choose them all or only one it's up to you. (I have two but my book club blog is private so I don't show it).
6. Lastly someone wanted to know how to do the smiley faces (Paige was that you?) so here you go it's very simple: 1st make sure you have your number lock on. 2nd hit ALT and 666 at the same time and you have this Ü Hit ALT and 3 once and you have this ♥ Hit ALT and 1 once and you have this ☺ ALT and 2 = ☻. I think you may be getting the hang of this, go to town! I went from 1-30 and this is what I got: ☺☻♥♦♣♠•◘○◙♂♀♪♫☼►◄↕‼¶§▬↨↑↓→←∟↔▲
Now I must tell you I cannot do this on my laptop for some reason. It has to be on my regular key board and I'm not sure about a MAC because I don't have one of those.
7. This is what I told my class the other night. I am NOT a blogging pro. I have learned most things by figuring it out or asking someone. I have done this by sheer patience and determination so don't give up! We bloggers are all one big happy family and would love to help each other in any way possible! I also wanted to thank everyone for their comments! I found some new blogging friends and heard from some old blogging friends and it was great!