Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Tuesday Tell All - Or maybe Tell it How it Is!

San Fransisco 10/07
Today I took Abby in for her "Let's Hope She Can Get Into Kindergarten Test."
(If she doesn't it will be fine but if she does that would be even better!)



When we got there Abby went with a teacher and 7 other little 4 year old's into a classroom so they could evaluate them and see if the kids are ready for kindergarten. She did fine as I was told by her after it was over. We then stopped off at Krispy Kream which has re-opened and got her a yummy treat for being good. Sugar for breakfast is for champions right?!



As I was waiting the 45 min for Miss Abby to return from her test I was sitting at a table with two women one of which was a talker! She went on and on about her life and her children which would have been fine but she HATES HER LIFE!! I sat there and listened and commented but was secretly getting very, very bugged at this women!



Her kids were hard, she hated entertaining them, she can't wait until they are all three in school so she can be rid of them, on and on and on. Her oldest is 4 and her youngest is 4 months (who was an "oops" as she called her.



I know motherhood is hard. Life can be hard. Raising kids can be exhausting and tiring and a little "Me Time" is always helpful. I know this. For some reason the way this woman was going on just bothered me so.



I felt like saying, "You know there are people out there who can't have kids, or who have lost kids. You need to be thankful for your family because they are the most important thing you have! Cherish them, love them, capture these moments and keep them close to your heart because they go by so fast. Don't do anything but love them, teach them and love them some more.



Do you think I am wrong for thinking this? Believe me, I am not perfect. I have made my kids play for the last two hours outside because the house is clean and I don't want it to get dirty before Tom comes home. I'm sick (sore throat) and grouchy but I would NEVER say those horrible things this woman was saying about her children. I love them, I cherish them, I capture those sweet moments and hold them so close to my heart they sometimes hurt and I know they are my most treasured possession sent to me by more than just one person who loves me.



9 comments:

Anny said...

Yes, motherhood is hard! BUT I agree, we need to cherish every minute! These little angels (and sometimes devils) grow up so fast! Some day that lady will realize what she missed, it is sad. You are a great mother and do a great job at cherishing every moment!

Brandi said...

Abby is so sweet. Love those pictures of her.
I didn't really get to look at all the cottages very long, but which every cottage has the most roses is the one I would guess.
So did you speak your thoughts to that lady? Sounds like she needed a different perspective. It seems like there are a lot of unhappy mothers out there. I was just talking to Matt about this same subject last week. The fact is there are few women that are really happy with their lives. I told Matt I have only known a few that really cherish the lives that they lead and you were one of them! I wish there were more women out there like you.

cindylou said...

You are such a great mom, Cara!! Your girls are blessed to be your daughters.

Pres Monson said this in conference in April - "To you who are parents, I say, show love to your children. You know you love them, but make certain they know it as well. They are so precious. Let them know."

You do such a good job at doing just that -- showing your girls that you love them! :o)

Jenifer said...

What a very sad woman. I always wonder why some people bother having children. i thought you expressed your thoughts beautifully. None of us are perfect mothers, we don't have to be. We just have to let our kids know we love them.

Crazymamaof6 said...

ok ya made me cry. yes that bugs. and you thought the right things. and maybe in a nice way you could have told her those things. she has no clue who she is talking to.
it's hard to listen to I'm sure. but often i find myself wondering what i was thinking? i can't handle my reality alot of days. and I'm sure people at the store see me barking orders at my wild kids. and think "she is not enjoying those kids, she should be nicer". and then there are others that scowl at me for having them at the store at all. it's one of those things. that lady probably has post partum depression and doesn't even know it.
and ive found people that have never struggled to have kids don't fully enjoy them, like moms that can't have kids or struggled for years to get pregnant or adopt. the struggle makes the hard times more manageable,and the moms more tolerant.since they know what it is to not have kids.

i try to have balance. but often find myself being the cranky, whiner lady.

Erin said...

Cara,

I am interested in knowing how you made your decision to have your 4 year old skip to kindergarten early? I've been thinking about it with my four year old. He is so advanced compared to his age group. I'm just wondering what you think on the subject?

Thanks,

erin.anytimefitness@gmail.com

Vidal's Nest said...

Being a mom of six kids, with the youngest being 3 almost 4, 2 and 1 I find myself being overwhelmed often.
While I love them more than anything in this world, I struggle...with depression, being overwhelmed and not feeling good enough. I often joke with others that my kids have shown me the reason why animals eat thier young! I of course don't mean it, just blowing off steam on a hard day,and I love them more than anything in this world.
I hope she was just having a hard day and was blowing off steam.
Thanks for the reminder we need to cherish our children every single day. It's the thing I pray for every single day... to be a better mom and to make sure my kids know how grateful I am to have them in my life.
Sorry so long..U touched a cord here:)

idahohubers said...

I remember my kindergarten testing, I was so nervous! Too bad about that lady's attitude, she's missing a miricle right there in her own house. And listening to complainers gets old fast.

That said, I've been complaining a lot lately! I do get into a complaining rut sometimes about my kids. Today especially I wanted to be anywhere but at home with them. It was one of those days! But they are my joy that's for sure.

Anyway, funny story - My friend was at Beehive clothing of all places and a lady made a nice comment about her children. My friend laughed and said sometimes she thinks about selling them on ebay. The woman was horrified and said 'well you're kidding right?' and my friend said "No." The lady was not amused. My friend thought it was funny.

momof3crazykids said...

Yes, parenting can be hard, and I know I've got 3 children and one very spirited child who is 5. Sure I joke with my friends about them all being in school in the fall but I am sad I won't have them all day long. I would never though talk about how horrible they were to people I don't know. The ones that know us already know how horrible they are. Just kidding!