Monday, October 6, 2008

New Recipe Binder

I have had the same recipe binder since I got married. It is filled with all my family's favorites. I used this recipe binder everyday sometimes two or three times a day. Each time I would pull it off the shelf it would fall apart. Mainly because it was old, well used, too small and the back was cram packed with print outs from the Internet, pages ripped from magazines and hand outs from Enrichment nights. (sorry - I don't have a before picture)

The time had come for a new binder.

While I was blogging a few months ago I came across the blog Crafting Chicks . After looking at all the cute things they were doing for her Super Saturday Craft Day I:
(1) wanted to go - real bad!
(2) decided I couldn't since I don't know where she lives. (darn it!)
(3) made the decision to copy her clever crafty Recipe Binder. (thanks crafting chick)

I think it turned out rather cute and makes me happy every time I pull it off the shelf. Organization always perks me up a bit and when it's cute.........well, I just can't help but smile.I scraped the front cover with some scrapbook paper, brads, ribbon and die cuts. Everything else I digitally scrapbooked on my computer using a kit from Shabby Miss Jenn and printed it out at home onto cardstock. The tabs had a digi- staple at the top so I took it a step further and just stapled the tab right to the cover page.
I was excited to find these plastic sleeves for 4x6 pictures that I used for my printed recipe cards. My favorite part of the new binder is that I have an Heirloom section that has all my Great-Great Grandmother, Great Grandmother, Grand Mother, Great Aunt, Aunt's and my Mothers hand written recipes.
I love looking at these old favorites in familiar handwriting. If you are going to make one - save the family favorites - it's something you can pass down generation to generation.

As you can see, my tabs aren't in perfect order. I have made 3 more binders since the first one for birthday presents. Their tabs are in better order down the pages Ü

**side note**
I did not recopy or re-type any of my recipes. I love flipping through the pages and seeing the splatters and wrinkled edges of a well-used recipe.
I just organized them into different sections:
Appetizers
Sauces
Snacks
Soups and Salads
Poultry
Seafood
Beef
Breads
Desserts
Heirloom Recipes

I also did not alphabetize because lets face it - I think this is organized enough. That might just put me over the edge.

10 comments:

Janae said...

okay I want to come when you have another crafty day!!! I love that recipe binder...

idahohubers said...

LOVE it! Everything about it from your worn out recipies to your stapled on tabs. I'm seriously considering making a 'spooky' banner too. Way cute!

Anny said...

I was laughing at your original recipe binder because that is what mine looks like now. I have had it since I got married and it has completely fallen apart. I can't believe you made this one, it is so dang cute! I love that it is pink. Good for you!

Crystal Star said...

I want the recipes! You should scan them in! (As if you don't have anything else to do).

crystal said...

I will pay you money to do one of these for me.

You think I'm kidding. I'm not.

I. Do. Not. Scrap.

Christie said...

What a great idea. I totally need to do something like that. My recipe binder is on its last legs.

Becca said...

What a cute binder. That is such a great idea. Some of my recipies are just stuffed in my cupboard because my recipie book is too small for them. I like the heirloom idea. My mom still has all hers, so I don't have them.

Becca said...

What a cute binder. That is such a great idea. Some of my recipies are just stuffed in my cupboard because my recipie book is too small for them. I like the heirloom idea. My mom still has all hers, so I don't have them.

Kendra said...

I have been typing for years on a "new recipe" book. I started to try and get it done for Christmas in 2006. I got partly finished and then tried again for Mother's Day and Christmas in 2007. I haven't added anything this year. I loved that you just used the actual hand written recipes. It is a beautiful binder and I bet it has become a treasured gift. Great job!

Cindy said...

WOW!! This is way cool! I have been needing to gather my gazillions of recipes on scrap pieces of paper for years and put them into something cute. I wish I lived closer -- you could show me how to do all sorts of fun stuff, Cara Sue! I miss you!!