Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Energy for Me and I'm Officially Old


I have decided that working out is going to have to be my thing. I have resisted all these years but now I have to just suck it up and do it. The reason I have been a non-work-out-person is because lets face it people, I am in enough pain as it is with out subjecting myself to more pain. And who wants joints AND muscles hurting? Come on.

Aerobics:
a series of strenuous exercises which help convert
fats, sugars, and starches into aches, pains, and cramps.
~Author Unknown

However, Monday I got up and worked out early at the gym. 6:30am early. I then came home, got Cassidy up and ready for school, got a bunch of stuff on my list done and when I looked at the clock it was only 9am. WHAT???? 9am? Everything I did, I did with energy, speed, efficiency. I was so proud of myself. I went the whole morning running around like the road runner on Bugs Bunny - FAST, FAST, FAST. I kinda felt like Mindy. You should see that girl clean. I have never seen anything like it. She's amazing. By the time I got Abby off to school I had a weeks worth of work done in about 4 hours. I even kept up this energy cycle ALL day. Amazing.

I have to exercise in the morning
before my brain figures out what I'm doing.
~Marsha Doble

Well, I thought to myself, "this isn't because I worked out is it?" I had doubt. Major doubt. So Tuesday I didn't go work out. And guess what? I got nothing done. I sat on my big-ol-bum and watched Oprah and played Uno with Abby. Zero accomplished. Hmmmmmmm...could it be I needed a little work out energy boost? I think so.

Movement is a medicine for creating change in a person's
physical, emotional, and mental states.
~Carol Welch

So today I went to the gym and I worked out (but not till after I picked up Abby from school) It was great. I had energy the rest of the day. The only problem is....my neck and shoulder muscles hurt and I don't like that. I hate inflicting pain on my already pain filled body. Tom says it will get better. I hope my body will forgive me, get used to it, get stronger and then love me for it. I'm living in a dream world aren't I?

The best remedy for a short temper is a long walk.
~Jacqueline Schiff

Anyhoo.......onto another funny story. Last night I subbed for Ashley at Bunko. I love being the sub for those cute girls. It's always fun and makes me so grateful that I have made new friends (who are now old friends) through blogging. For those who don't know - Bunko is a dice game that needs 12 girls to play. Three tables of four girls. This is important to remember since it will come up in the story.

So it's about halfway through the night. I have moved three different times because I have had the lowest score each time. I am sitting at table #3 talking and playing when birthdays come up. The girl across from (who will remain nameless) starts talking about her birthday which is Dec 25th, mine is Dec 23. We chat about what we did, what we got etc. I then ask her how old she is. I know, I know - you aren't supposed to ask this question but....its a bunch of girls and so what right? Just a little FYI - I WILL NEVER ASK THIS QUESTION AGAIN>

So this cute girl says to me, "I'm the oldest one in this room." She seems pretty proud of this fact so I again ask her how old she is. (why oh why did I do that?) She says, "33 how old are you?" Without thinking I say, "37."

This is the funny part. Her mouth drops open, her eyes get huge and she says - very loudly mind you - "YOUR 37?" Which everyone at my table stops what they are doing and start talking about my age. Then the rest of the room pipes up and starts talking about my age. Now granted they did say nice things like, "you don't look 37" and, "I would have never guessed you were that old!" Then for the rest of the night there were old jokes. Yep, I felt officially old. The kicker was when we were talking about the Jon and Kate plus 8 family and I mentioned that the mom on the show had a haircut that looked a little like The Flock of Seagulls. I got blank stares. BLANK STARES!!!!! Some of them didn't know who The Flock of Seagulls were. So here's a picture:
And here are a couple of links to videos of The Flock of Seagulls:
Wishing
I Ran
this is a good one of a bunch of 80's videos.
It will take you back for sure!

A Trip Through the 80"s


O.K. now that I have watched a few moments of these videos I have to say they are a bit creepy. Maybe that's why so many people make fun of them and mock them on every comedy show and movie. Seriously, those of us that are 80's kids I'm surprised we aren't more weird.

O.K. back to the "I'm Old" story. The best line of the night was when one girl (Reiley) said to Brooke something about me and my hearing and I piped up from the next table saying "what did you say?" (because I did hear my name but nothing else.) Ha-Ha. That got a good laugh.

Have no fear. I am not offended nor do I feel old. I had a fabulous time at Bunko and I will just have to remind myself to never - ever ask someone how old they are. I will just keep thinking that everyone is the same age like I always do. It makes things a lot less complicated.

5 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

hey hey hey! i totally know who flock of seagulls are!
and i totally missed this conversation? was i sitting with you?

not the flock of seagulls one. the your age one.
i do recall telling how old i am. but don't know why i did.

so fun when you sub!
hugs! and i'm way glad we are old friends now!
gotta love blogging!

Crazymamaof6 said...

you totally forgot my fave. space age love song! WHOOHOO! love the '80's.
confession. i stole my sisters Aflock of seagulls tape when i was in 1st grade.

i was that kind of little sister.

Anny said...

If you're old, I'm even older! he he. Thanks for reminding me! Love the exercise quotes, so true!

Becca said...

I am even older than Anny:), and I have friends that are not even 30 yet. I decided that if you act old, you are old...no matter the age. I just don't act old. Thanks for giving me the humph to exercise.

Ros said...

Good Heavens girl! I stop blogging for 9 days and look what happens, you post 4 times! Or is it 5?!

I have been on this wierd flock of seagulls thing lately, and I can't believe how wierd their hair looks now. I remember thinking was totally there... and normal. I must have been a teenager -- hehe.

love you girl!