Wednesday, June 29, 2011


When I was young I remember my Mom and Dad arguing over making us kids do the dishes and cleaning up after dinner/lunch/breakfast.  My Mom wanted us to and my Dad would always say, "just let me do it, it's fine."  I didn't realize at the time that my Dad was showing us he loved us by this little act of service.  (Service was one of his Love Languages)

I too have the same "Love Language" as my Dad - Acts of Service.  That is how I show people I love them.  I'm not a mushy gushy love person who fawns all over you, spits forth a steady stream of compliments, or showers you with gifts - sorry and yes, I'm working on voicing my feeling more (wink).

I bring this up because lately I have been having the hardest time making my kids do their chores.  I feel bad asking them to help me do all the cleaning, pick up and put away that needs to happen around here.  I know they need to do it - it's darn good for them, but I just hate asking.  Therefore......our house is a wreak, I have fallen behind and it makes me not want to clean either.

Does this happen to you?  I know it's the lazy days of summer and I should have a relaxed, go with it, have fun kind of outlook but laundry still needs to be done, clothes put away and dishes washed.  Honestly, I'm secretly avoiding the whining and fighting that occurs when chores are dished out.

So.....how should I go about this?  Just buckle down and become the drill Sergent/chore task masker and endure he whining or say forget it, let it go, and wait for right before school starts and do a massive clean session all at once?  Let me know what you are doing and how it's all going in your neck of the woods.

Sincerely,
Cara

1 comment:

Webb Family said...

I think that is so cute that your dad did the dishes. He not only was helping you kids out but to me he was saying thank you to your mom for dinner:) I hate chores & teaching kiddos to work but it's got to be done.