Monday, February 12, 2007

one word, one little word that will mean BIG things

O.K. I read on one of my favorite blog sites about Ali Edwards "One Little Word Challenge." I thought it was interesting and have thought about it a lot over the past month in a half. Here is a little summary of what she says:


one little word
A single word can be a powerful thing. It can be the ripple in the pond that changes everything. It can be sharp and biting or rich and soft and slow. Today I want to introduce you to the idea that a single word can be a catalyst for enriching your life as well as your scrapbook layouts. Last year I began a tradition of choosing one word for myself each January - a word that I can focus on, mediate on, and reflect upon as I go about my daily life. Last year my word was something I wanted to bring into my life in a more tangible way. It can be something tangible or intangible. It could be a thought or a feeling or an emotion. It can be singular or plural. The key is to find something that has personal meaning for you. This is not your mother's word or your spouse's word or your child's word - this is YOUR word. (You can read the whole article
here.)


So, like I said I have been thinking about this for over a month, playing with a word that I want to focus on this year. Something that will make me a better person, calmer, smarter, more in control of many different areas in my life. I'm terrible at making goals. I love making lists, crossing off each thing that I have done during the day, but making goals?
Nadda - nope - no go. So after much thought I have come up with my word:

Think

think about the future
think about the past
think about our finances
think about my feelings and emotions
think about my future - where do I want to be in 3 months, 1 year, 3 years
think about politics
think about being prepared
think about ways to make me smarter, ways that will peak my interests
think and do. Don't just think about it - do it - don't put things off

As I have thought about his I realized that I am a surface thinker. I don't think of the past nor the future. I don't over think anything. I don't ever think about my feelings - maybe that's why I don't cry.
I do think about what I have to do TODAY and I do it. I do think about others and how I can help them. I do think about my daily life more now that I am doing this blog. I have noticed that I capture little moments through out my day and file them away into my memory so that I can post about them later. I love that! I have never done that before.
Think.......I am excited to have a word to focus on instead of a long list of goals that I will fail doing. I'm excited about capturing my thoughts and daily moments on this blog. I've never been a journal writer before and I am excited to be journaling with this modern technology and sharing my excitement with Cassidy who writes in her journal every night.

Think......It's going to be a good year!
(here's a link that will give you some words to think about)

No comments: