Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Wet Socks

Guess what we are doing over here? Cassidy has been sick for WEEKS!!! Weeks I tell ya. When that girl gets a cold it goes right to her lungs and she coughs all night and most of the day for months. It's terrible. I started putting Mentholatum on the bottom of her feet and covering them with socks which seemed to help immensely! (You should try it!)

Then my Dr. told me about the Wet Sock Treatment. We did it last night and she didn't cough once - or all day today. The key is you have to do it three nights in a row for it to work. Tonight was #2 for her and I'm going to try it on me to help get rid of this nasty stuffy nose I have. I'm so excited I just had to share! I know it's cold and flu season and if you could help without taking any drugs wouldn't you be game? So good luck and I'll keep you posted on how it works for me! Let me know if you try it!


WET SOCK TREATMENT

The wet sock treatment is best if repeated for three nights in a row, or as instructed by your physician.

Indications
Sore throat or any inflammation or infection of the throat, neck pain, ear infections, headaches, migraines, nasal congestion,
upper respiratory infections, coughs, bronchitis, and sinus infections.

Contraindications
Use with caution in diabetes, Raynaud’s phenomenon or syndrome, arterial insufficiency or advanced intermittent
claudication. The warming phase is especially important for these patients. Please consult your physician.

Supplies
  • 1 pair white cotton socks
  • 1 pair thick wool socks
  • Towel
  • Warm bath or warm foot bath

Directions
  1. Take a pair of cotton socks and soak them completely with cold water. Be sure to wring the socks out thoroughly so
    they do not drip.
  2. Warm your feet first. This is very important as the treatment will not be as effective and could be harmful if your feet are
    not warmed first. Soaking your feet in warm water for at least 5-10 minutes or taking a warm bath for 5-10 minutes can
    accomplish warming.
  3. Dry off feet and body with a dry towel.
  4. Place cold wet socks on feet. Cover with thick wool socks. Go directly to bed. Avoid getting chilled.
  5. Keep the socks on overnight. You will find that the wet cotton socks will be dry in the morning.

Effects of the Wet Sock Treatment
This treatment acts to reflexively increase the circulation and decrease congestion in the upper respiratory passages, head,
and throat. It has a sedating action and many patients report that they sleep much better during the treatment. This treatment
is also effective for pain relief and increases the healing response during acute infections.

Resources: Dr. Douglas Lewis N.D.

9 comments:

Becca said...

How did you know I have a horrible cold? This sounds great! I'll have to try it. Thanks for the info. Hope it works for you!

Nikki said...

Are you serious?! :) That cracks me up... but I will totally try it next time we have coughs and stuffy noses. :)

Jenifer said...

I've never heard of this! Pretty cool! Glad to hear it works, wonder it will cure Megan's flu :(

The Riggs Family said...

Have never heard this either, thanks for the tip... I am definately going to try it out.

blah, blah by lindsey said...

thank you so much for sharing!! i need to try this out..i have been having the hardest time with headaches and nasal yuckies

twentyfive2 said...

I want to try this!

I also want to know how to follow your blog.
I'm new to blogging but I'm already hooked.
If you have a free minute please tell me how to follow you (I dont see the 'follow me' link)

Thanks,
Amanda

Webb Family said...

We do the vicks rub on the feet but wow I can't wait to try this one out. But just wondering where you found wool socks!?
How was your fun night out?

honeybee said...

totally tried it on Braydon, we didn't put the socks in the refrigerator but it seemed to work anyway with just running them in cold water. No skipping school for this kid anymore. Alice

Anny said...

I just printed off the instructions and I'm going to try it right now. My nose is stuffy, my ears ache and my throat is killing me. Thanks Cara you always seem to save the day for me!