Friday, August 31, 2007

Fun with Lightning

1st off I just want to mention how much fun I am having with this blog - Miracles.

Onehm did a blog challenge and wanted to see pictures of peoples home. She has a lot of talented friends! WOW!! So motivational, inspiring and boy do these pictures give me some great ideas! Thanks, onehm for the challenge - we are all benefiting from your challenge!


Now a little story about what happened the other night. It has been stormy the past few nights which is a nice change from the same-ol'-same-ol'. It has even been somewhat cool (if you can call in the 90's cool) so the girls and I decided to go out on the back porch and watch the lightning. We had so much fun! The lighting was in high gear so we were very entertained. I taught the girls how to count the seconds between when we "see" the lightning and when we "hear" the thunder. We must have spent at least 1 1/2 hours watching the show. It was nice because we made a game of it so the girls weren't scared at all.




All this reminded me of when I was little and my brother and I went out on the front porch and watched the lightning. My Dad (or was it my Mom?) sat out there and taught us the rule of counting between lightning and thunder. We didn't have much lightning storms in California and when I moved here I had to get used to the monsoon season and all the amazing lightning shows! I would actually get scared!!! My roommate Cindy and I had our share of scary storms. When Tom and I were 1st married there was one lightning strike that was so bright it woke me up! There was no counting between that strike because the crack of thunder was so loud my heart stopped, the walls and windows shook, and I screamed! Come to find out the lightning had hit the house 4 townhouses down and caught the whole 2nd floor on fire!!! (the people were out of town or it might have been worse!) That is the closest I have been to a lightning strike and I hope it is my last!

I hope I am creating memories that my daughters will remember and be able to pass on to their children. Who knows what they will remember but I hope it's the good times and not the bad! Ü


Question:
What memories do you have of thunder and lightning?
What did you think of those amazing home pictures?

7 comments:

The Reed Family said...

WOW! I miss those summer lightning storms out there in AZ! I especially miss the smell of the rain in the desert!

Thanks for motivating me to get started on my blog, Cara! Of course, I don't think it'll ever be as cute as yours. But, I'm having fun! And I LOVE, LOVE reading yours! You are such a cutie and inspiration to me! I miss you tons, girl! Ü

Webb Family said...

That is an awesome picture! I love the thunder/lighting storms. What a fun game to play with kids. You are such a good mom!!!

idahohubers said...

I was actually thinking about AZ lightning storms the other day! I agree with your Reed family friend note - there is nothing like a desert lightning storm - awesome. We're pushin' 70 degrees by Noon here and 90 ish at peek... I do love that. Only a few more weeks till fall and autumn leaves!

Crazymamaof6 said...

very fun! love onehm and her challenge! your house is lovely! so fun to see it! and love lightening! we count too. and nobody wakes up or is even scared ever! way to go making memories and making it fun and not scary! gotta love those AZ summer storms!

onehm said...

I'm so glad that you are enjoying the home tours...I am too!
And I am so impressed that you are out on the back porch with your girls. My kids would be too scared, I think!

Crystal Star said...

Cara-
When I had those 2 kids here from Russia, they were sooooo scared during a mild monsoon storm. They were hiding at the bottom of their bedding and crying in Russian. I had to call in the middle of the night someone to translate and explain to them what it was. It made me realize what I've taken for granted growing up here and my kids that lightening isn't so scary when you experience it every summer.
Crystal

Crystal Star said...

Cara-
When I had those 2 kids here from Russia, they were sooooo scared during a mild monsoon storm. They were hiding at the bottom of their bedding and crying in Russian. I had to call in the middle of the night someone to translate and explain to them what it was. It made me realize what I've taken for granted growing up here and my kids that lightening isn't so scary when you experience it every summer.
Crystal