Thursday, August 23, 2007

Third Grade is Hard!

(this is Cassidy's homework from last night)

Let me start by saying Cassidy is loving school. She adapted well at the new school, has made lots of new friends and is doing great.

That is not the hard part. Homework is the hard part. She has a TON-O-HOMEWORK! I'm talking 3-4 hours a night. It's so hard because Mon., Tues., Wed. she has after school activities so she doesn't get home until 5:30 or 6pm. Then we start homework and work through dinner until 9pm-9:30. I should comment that does include the 30+ min. of reading. (Normal bedtime is 8pm.)
I feel so bad for her. She has no free time what so ever! (me either for that matter!) I never was a good student. School was hard and frustrating for me and I don't want that for her. I'm trying very hard to be positive and upbeat and fun about the whole homework thing, although I'm not sure how long I can keep up the happy-go-lucky facade.
I should not be complaining. I am thankful that she is loving to learn. She even said last night that she likes to read now! WOW!! I swear my Mom is up in heaven waving her magic wand down here on her favorite Cassidy giving her the extra help she needs. I can feel it, and it makes me smile.

6 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

my 3rd grader has tons of homework too. and we kinda skip the readin' issue. he loves to read and is super smart though so i have no worries about that. but he has the same text book. i dread the book reports. 3rd grade is causing me anxiety more than it is him. good luck! hope it slows down for you.

Lizzy said...

Oh man thats rough! I have a fear that I won't be able to help my kids with their homework-YUCK! way too much!!

Erin said...

I'm not looking forward to having a child in elementary school, it seems like more work for the parents than the kids. If only I had the patience to home school!

Grandma T. said...

I think it will get better as time goes on. The beginning of school is always a big adjustment. Say HI to Cassidy for me. Love, Aunt Janet

Lindsey said...

k samantha, who is in 3rd does not have anywhere near that much homework. she has a packet that she brings home at the beginning of the week that she is supposed to turn in on friday, but it is way easy stuff. but i guess it is only the 2nd week.

Webb Family said...

My kiddos have more this year but, not that much! Does she have different assignments every night? My kids teacher is tough but, I'm really liking him. I'm happy to hear that Cassidy is happy at the new school.