Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Costco Black Hole

I am back to being a Costco shopper. I am being honest when I say I haven't shopped there since before the summer started. In fact on Monday when I went to get my 420 pictures developed the lady at the photo counter said, "you need to renew and it was up in May." Then she said with shock, "you haven't been here since May?" What, am I the only one that doesn't spend my days roaming the isles of Costco? Thanks Lady!

I even thought about NOT renewing but I wanted my pictures so I caved. The sad part is Costco does suck you in. Since Monday I have been there three times and Tom once. It's a little addicting. You see something, you think, "Nah I don't need that." Then you go home and think about it and have to rush back to get it because if you don't it won't be there! Am I right or am I right?!

The killer that made me stop going was:
1. We are a family of four. I don't need to buy in bulk.
2. I hate walking out of there with 5 items that cost $127.52!
3. I truthfully don't make pre-packaged food that often. Don't judge me. I either make things from scratch or..........wait for it...........we go out. Yep, we like to go out. In fact we need to stop this habit.

So, I guess I am semi back on the Costco wagon and hopefully I won't go broke riding said wagon!


Questions:
Do you shop at Costco?
Why?
Do they suck you in or is it just second nature to head over there?

12 comments:

Erin said...

We love Costco! Every time we go all Jack wants to do is look for the "tastes". I think for me shopping there is second nature, my parents shop there. I remember getting my first costco card and in a way that made me feel like an adult, weird I know!

Lizzy said...

I walk out of Costco $200 less then i walked in with, and really nothing to show for it. I like going there, but only once a month or so. Feel the same way! I do love the photo center though!

onehm said...

Amen, sista!

lindsey said...

i know how you feel!! we are at costco or sam's club seriously every saturday. why? i have no idea. and we end up spending way more money than we wanted to. plus with the holiday stuff there forgetaboutit!!!

lindsey said...

but we mostly go for diapers, thought i would add that.

oh and btw we eat almost every meal so don't feel bad. it is one thing i have really been working on. plus it is not helping my weight either :)

Jennifer said...

Yeah Costco sucks me in... especially now that it's close. I am going to write a blog about this because I saw a really good Rachael Ray on how to out smart them and it's really working. I promise to do it this weekend.

Jenifer said...

I always get tennis elbow after shopping there. 50 lbs of dish soap, 200 lbs of tide, 30 lbs kitty litter...I think it is bad for your health! I'm with you though on the fam of four. It makes it hard to shop there for food.

idahohubers said...

Hi Cara - We don't have cost co only sams club; lame-0. So no temptation here. I'll have to stay away when we come down there in a few weeks. Heard you were my rep. at the family party to meet the new in-law-siblings! Glad it was fun. I can't wait to meet John.

Webb Family said...

I'm not a huge fan of Costco and mostly because we seem to get sick of the stuff we have and it goes bad! Paige and I used to split everything we bought there-image that!? And, I totally agree about how it's there one day & not the next!!

Crazymamaof6 said...

sadly i am a costco fan and i miss the one out by you! i find myself going once a week and dropping a load of cash, i buy my fruits and veggies there, and diapers and sometimes milk. if i am careful with how much i spend it costs me 100 bucks, if I'm not i can easily drop 300 which really we don't buy big ticket items so that is a tad much. but yeah i wonder how i can go every week and have nothing in the pantry.

Melody said...

Just freeze it! I love their pesto, but who can eat a jar in a week, so I pour it in ice cube trays and then freeze for later. One little cube makes a nice pasta sauce or pizza-yum! And where can you beat $1.35(I decided that was the cheapest thing there) for like 20 bananas--they freeze too for great smoothies and breads (just peel first--I learned that the hard way).

Crazymamaof6 said...

and i dropped $384.oo yesterday! i think it was an all time high . and i only bought groceries, cleaning supplies and minor paper goods. yowza!