Monday, March 24, 2008

Mexico Trip

For spring break we took the girls down to Rocky Point Mexico. It's about three hours away and we had been given a nice condo to stay in away from most of the spring breakers so we thought, "why not? It's been 11 years since we were down there lets go!" (so yes, we have been out of town which equals no blogging!)


I can honestly say that it took a great deal of convincing to get me to agree to this. Last time I went down there it wasn't a pleasant experience and I had NO intentions of EVER going back! First off we stayed in a camper (clue #1) with no A/C in the middle of the summer (clue #2) with FLIES (BIG clue #3). The company was very strange (clue #4) and lets be honest - I was used to beaches like this:
(Carmel Ca)
pretty green trees, white sand, flowers and the sound of waves crashing on the beach. (clue #5)
Instead all I saw was this:
(Sea of Cortes) Sand. Water. (clue #6)
I think all the above factors came into play when I made my decision to never return. I know, I know I should be be happy - a beach is a beach! Well my views have changed. This weekend was pleasantly.....pleasant. We stayed in nice condo with a full kitchen and brought our own food (no flies here baby!) We had a beach with sand but also huge sea shells and tons of hermit crabs which Cassidy had a ball finding the perfect ones for her collection in a sand bucket. We also could go back and forth between beach and pool (NICE!) which was again very pleasant.


I think fear had a lot to do with the 1st trip and partly for the second. Fear happens when you are going into the unknown and unsure of what will happen. (Yes this is my own definition and is not going to be found in Wikipedia). Tom speaks fluent Spanish but still, a foreign country? A tad scary if you ask me.


Everything was fine and the girls loved learning some Spanish and seeing the stop signs with ALTO instead of STOP. It was very humbling to see all the different living conditions from super fancy multi storied homes to little cardboard lean too's along the side of the road. I think it also opened the eyes of my children and hopefully they will be a little more grateful for what they have instead of always wanting more (like their Mama).


I think the highlight of the trip (besides the perfect weather, sitting on the beach until it was time to go to the pool then back to the beach) was going to these amazing tide pools. The kids got to see and hold starfish, a small octopus, sea sponge, huge crabs, and other weird sea life! I wish we could have gone there every day! That alone will get me to come back.

15 comments:

Webb Family said...

I'm so happy to hear that your second trip to Mexico was much better! Rocky Point was our spring break all growing up so I have always loved it!

Crazymamaof6 said...

so fun! looked like a fabulous time. and wow! sounds heavenly!

lindsey said...

what fun trip!! we love rocky point. unfortunately we stay in a camper but it does have ac ;)

Think Pink said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time in Mexico. I've always been reluctant to take the boys there, but I keep hearing wonderful stories about Rocky Point. Maybe someday we will go. Going to a beach ~ any beach ~ is my favorite kind of vacation, too!

Jenifer said...

Sounds wonderful, what a fun week! I'm not too picky about beaches, seeing how I was born landlocked. As long as it isn't full of pebbles. Looks like so much fun! Wish I could have been there. hahahahaha!

Laurie said...

That sounds sooo fun! And so close by. What a great spring break!

THE Bridesmaid said...

Glad you had fun and you replaced your not-so-fond memories with some new great ones!

Dancin Queen said...

Looks like a great trip! I'm so jealous!

natalielange said...

sounds (& looks) like you had a very good time! glad to see that you were able to overcome your fear and do something outside of your comfort zone. This is big on my mind right now as that is what I am going to do this summer.....you'll have to look at my blog....big long story.

crystal said...

I'm proud of you for overcoming your Mexi-phobia!

Sounds like a great vacation :)

Anny said...

Funny, funny post! You're right, it's hard to compare anything to Carmel. But at least this trip wasn't as bad as your last trip!

pam said...

Fun, fun...You guys always have fun, I don't know what you were worried about, lol.

Lori said...

I've always wanted to try out Rocky Point, and didn't realize it was so close. We'll just have to try it out sometime. I'm glad you had such a great time.

onehm said...

I'm so glad that you had a nice trip!!! It looks like a fun family time.

cindylou said...

SOO fun!! Sorry it wasn't Carmel! I miss it, too! We're going to Rocky Point in June with my familia! Wish you would have gone a few months later -- we could have hung out on the ugly, hermit crab filled beaches together! But, you're right -- it's still a beach, and my kids LOVE it, so I do too! :o)