Monday, November 17, 2008

Memory Monday

Last night my brother Matt called and told me he had just made persimmon cookies. I asked him if he had used Dad's recipe and he said he didn't have it but he thinks they turned out similar. When I told him I had the recipe he was so excited. And here I thought I was the sentimental one.

When we were growing up my Dad was always very resourceful. He was always using things we had for other purposes and making things out of nothing. I think this stems from him growing up during the depression and being a native Californian.


One memory I have is of a persimmon tree we had in the backyard. Now this wasn't our persimmon tree - it was the neighbors. But it had grown big enough that it hung over our fence and would drop it's fruit into our yard making brown mushy spots under it. It used to drive my Dad crazy. He was pretty finicky about his yard. This went on for a few years until my Dad went to the library and checked out a persimmon cookbook.

See what I mean?
Resourceful.

I don't remember all the things he tried in that cookbook but the Persimmon cookies were a HIT! Every year after that when fall came around Dad would make persimmon cookies with the fruit that hung over the fence. I think he may have even taken more than what was hanging over since he became known around town for these cookies.

Thanks to my brother Matt for reminding me that I need to start a tradition and make up a batch of Dad's Famous Persimmon Cookies.

What's a persimmon you ask? What does it taste like? Well let me enlighten you:


Persimmons
Persimmons are an exotic fruit recognisable by their uniform golden yellow or orange colour. The persimmon is a flavoursome variety of the traditional Classic persimmon and is grown in Spain by a specially developed method. This gives it a firmer texture and it keeps for longer than other varieties. When persimmons are fully ripe, the taste of the exquisite, refreshingly sweet, stone-free flesh resembles that of mangoes and peaches.
These qualities have made Spanish persimmons an increasingly popular autumn trendsetter. Moreover persimmons are nutritious, have a high vitamin A and C content and, thanks to their high glucose levels, are a fantastic source of energy.

I personally think the cookies taste a little like pumpkin cookies but will agree on the stone free flesh of a mango or a peach. I'm posting the recipe if any of you are feeling adventuresome but it won't hurt my feelings if you don't make them. I'm just enjoying the memory

Persimmon Nut Cookies
1/2 C. butter softened
1 C. sugar
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 C. persimmon pulp (sieved or blended)
2 C. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. salt
1 C. pecans or walnuts broken into pieces

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Cream softened butter and sugar, add egg then persimmon pulp. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Gradually add in persimmon mixture, blending well as it is added. Stir in nut pieces and drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet. Bake about 12-15 min, until these rather thick cookies are well browned and a cake tester comes out clean.
Makes about 3 dozen.


5 comments:

Kimmurs said...

Great Blog..Loved it...

Kristi said...

Yum! I discovered (& fell in love with!) persimmons when I was living in China. I haven't seen them for sale here...where do you find them, and are they any good??

Webb Family said...

I love posts about memories!
I'm glad you told us what they are, I had no clue!

Becca said...

Never heard of them. They look good and sound good, especially if they taste like pumpkin. What a great memory, thanks for sharing.

Ros said...

Dolly, this is soo great... I loved walking down memory lane with you.

Your Dad was a bright spot in my life when he was in Primary. He emitted, "happy to be here and happy to help." I'd like to be more like that.