Friday, January 23, 2009

I'm Back

I'm back....finally.
That was a very long hospital stay.
I was ready to come home on Tuesday!
But Thursday night at 10pm I got to come home.
Yippee!
Everyone at the hospital was very nice.
The nurses were amazing and oh-so-sweet to me.
I was in the VIP room which was nice...I guess. I don't know why it was called the VIP room. I sure didn't have a VIP view. It was a big room, but then again I was in the bariatrics unit.
I'm just happy to be home.

I haven't talked about why I needed surgery much. I haven't said anything on the blog at all and in real life very little. I usually try and keep my health problems on the back burner. If I talked about my health problems openly that's all I would have to talk about. So I choose not to talk about them if possible even though I do have quite a story to tell:

10 joints replaced
(7 done in less than a year)
4 hip replacements,
4 knuckles replaced - 2 on each hand
and both wrists replaced,
Juvenal Rheumatoid Arthritis for 22 years
and now Thyroid Cancer.
Thyroid Cancer!!

I still can't believe it. I always said I wouldn't get cancer because there are too many other things wrong with me. Guess I was wrong. Very wrong!! Darn it.

Lucky for me Thyroid Cancer is treatable....curable......easily. With surgery, pills, and radiation it will be gone. My thyroid is gone as of this week, I have many, many, many pills to take and I'm not sure yet about the radiation. I'm still looking into that.

I feel very little pain, however my neck is swollen and sore and my voice is scratchy. It's hard to swallow because of the swelling so I have been eating a lot of soup. I love soup. It's such comfort food isn't it? Oooh I had cake today - yummy, yummy cake! I can't forget about that. And I had a nap. Thankfully my MIL was here to go get Abby because I was dead asleep.

I have fun stories to tell of my hospital stay. I also have a lot of pictures thanks to Abby and Cass to go through. Thank you for all your sweet e-mails and calls, texts and visits. I appreciated every one. I did have Internet there in the waiting room and could look at blogs but not post on mine. I would have been giving a play-by-play if I had. I was sooooooo bored! Beyond bored! Crawling out of my skin bored. Good thing I'm home!

Check back soon for the hospital highlights! For now - I'm off to watch last nights Burn Notice. I'm so excited I can't wait any longer!

21 comments:

THE Bridesmaid said...

Cara,
Glad to hear that it all went well and you're home!!
You're in my prayers :)

Kimmurs said...

Glad your home...

Nikki said...

Oh my goodness Cara. You're super woman... or should I say the bionic woman? :)
I'm glad you're doing well. I don't know you "for real", but you seem like you are so NOT dramatic and so easy going. I am impressed with your positive tone and matter of fact attitude, like it's all not a big deal. Just deal with it and move on. (Or maybe you hide it well.)
Anyhow, be well. I hope you're getting lots of help with all the mommy chores!
Prayers headed your way from me. :)

Lauralee said...

okay.. never have left you a comment before, but I love your blogging info, I have you on my reader, so your new post popped up..

your attitude is amazing.. I wish you well, when I was reading your list of surgeries, I was like.. she must be joking.. that is something.. you probably really appreciate good nurses with the time you have spent there.. take care, be strong!

The Wells Family said...

I am so sorry Cara. I know you will be better soon. I will add you to my prayers. I love you!

Becca said...

Cara, you don't give any clues to all your surgeries. That's amazing. You are so possitive. A girl in our ward, just newly married, was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer just before Chirstmas. She had her surgery this week too. I'm glad to hear all went well for you and are recovering well. I look forward to hearing about your hospital stay. I'm sure they will be great!

Lynn F. said...

Glad you're home Cara. Abby did great this week and was so glad to have you back yesterday. Your MIL drove her truck up past all the cars to the front of the line each day to get Abby. Funny! You're in my prayers for a speedy recovery. Maybe we can have a playdate again soon.
--Lynn

Jennifer said...

Oh THAT WORD!!! Amy told me so I've been praying for you secretly! You're a warrior.

Kristi said...

Oh.my.goodness Cara! I'm so glad it's a very treatable cancer! I hope you have a speedy recovery and seriously, is there anything we can do for you? What night can we bring dinner?

Vidal's Nest said...

Oh Cara! I have to say I love your positive attitude! So you!
So sorry to hear you are having to go through this right now!
You will be in our thoughts and prayers!
Hugs!!!

Tracy said...

Hi Cara,
I've never left a note before, but need to today. I love your blog and wanted to tell you we are praying for you and if I didn't live 2,ooo miles away I would have soup and jello or something soft and chocolatie on you door step today!. You are awesome and have caring family to take good care of you! Get well soon,we are praying for you! Tracy

Megan said...

well that sucks!
I am so sorry.
Of course I would be more than happy to do anything to help.

momof3crazykids said...

Cara,
I'm so sorry to hear this.
My prayers continue to be with you.

Anny said...

Yeah! I'm glad you're home and feeling better! As long as I've known you, you have never let your health slow you down. (Sorry about the horseback ride and fall-years ago) Thanks for being so strong and being there for the rest of us (even in the hospital!)
I hope you have a speedy recovery! My thoughts and prayers are with you! Can't wait for the hospital pictures!
Love ya to death!

Crazymamaof6 said...

AACK! i missed this! that's what i get for not checking blogs for 2 days.

hugs! you are a super star! and i'm so glad they finally let you out! LAME LAME LAME!

you rock! keep up the positive attitude it does wonders. and if you EVER NEED TO WHINE ABOUT IT! CALL ME!

i understand!
what type was it? follicular or papillary?

Let Your Hair Down said...

Cara,

You are amazing!!! You are always so upbeat and I admire you so much! Your home teacher still has your Christmas gift he needs to bring by-so sorry we have not been on the ball. I hope you are doing well, please let us know if we can do anything. We are thinking about you.

idahohubers said...

I'm glad you're home. Take it easy! I think you are awesome and I miss you already. We got home to 6 inches of fresh snow in the driveway! I think I'm having warm weather withdrawals. It will take a few days or so to adjust back to this insanity we call home :)

Lori said...

What a trooper you are! I just wanted you to know I was thinking of you, and I'm so grateful for your example through all of your trials! Glad you're home, and hope to see you soon!!
-Lori

crystal said...

Either you didn't make a peep about this and how hard it's been to deal with, or I REALLY need to be keeping up with you more consistently. You are now, as of today, a permanent fixture in my prayers. You're downright amazing, Cara.

Katie said...

Wow! I hope you're feeling better and have been able to get even more sleep! Good luck with the recovery--I hope it's quick!!!

Stevens girl said...

Okay, so I should have kept reading. I'm so sorry to hear that you had thyroid cancer. I had it too, when I was only 19 years old. It's still hard to believe. I'm living proof that you can go on and live a totally normal life after this. I keep telling myself often that if I had to have cancer, I'm certainly glad it was this kind which is so treatable. Don't worry, life does get back to normal, just don't miss any days taking your pills, you'll notice the difference if you miss taking it, and so will the people around you notice that you act a little different.