Friday, April 24, 2009

Dad's Birthday

On Monday the 20th we celebrated my Dad's birthday in grand NieNie style! We tied little love notes on balloons each person writing something near and dear to their heart. Then we let them GO GO GO all the way up to Heaven so Dad/Grandpa could feel the ♥♥♥LOVE♥♥♥.
And let me tell you there was a lot of love to be shared!
Cassidy with her love note to Grandpa in his favorite color - GREEN.
Some of the cousins getting ready to send their balloons.

Jo and Jo showing their true fun selves!

We all held the balloons then made a special wish just for Dad/Grandpa then let the balloons go. The kids loved it! This was the 1st year we have done the balloons and I think it is now going to be a forever tradition. We usually meet for ice cream since that was Dad's favorite. This year we had Family Home Evening, dinner, balloons and then apple pie and ice cream (his other favorite). It was a perfect night and we all felt so lucky to be together and a part of this family!
Cara and the Boys - Matt, Joey and Kurt

We choose to celebrate and remember my parents
on their birthdays instead of on the day they died.
It just seems happier dontcha think?

10 comments:

idahohubers said...

This is such a cool tradition! You did your dad proud. I love the pictures expecially the one of my 4 favorite cousins!

Seth, Sarah and the kids said...

I love this tradition as well....we do it for Great Grama Nystrom. I love seeing that picture of all of you guys!! You all look the same! So good! It is just so strange to be all grown ups! Happy B-day Brother Clausen!! :)

Nikki said...

The perfect family get together. Love it.
Today is the day my husband's 16 yr old brother died 12 years ago (car accident- wear your seatbelts!!). I much prefer to think about him on his birthday and celebrate him- and not dwell on this day. Totally agree with you!
BTW- You are a skinny thing!

Rosalyn Ellsworth said...

Yes!

I love the sibling love -- feel the love =)

I feel so lucky to have been able to get to know your Dad. I was just thinking about him a few days ago and what a happy presence he brought to Primary!

Cindy said...

Wow -- what a fun tradition! Looks like is was a special birthday celebration for your dad!! You have such a fun, crazy family!! I love it!! :o)

Becca said...

I know Kass does the balloons for her little Briggs, but I hadn't thought of doing it for parents or grandparents, that is actually a great idea. I'm so glad you could celebrate. I know we sort of do it the other way (on the day they pass), but their birthday is a wonderful idea.

Crystal Star said...

I love this idea Cara! I miss your mom & dad for you. They are both such characters!

Anny said...

Love that you live by your brothers and that you did this for your dad. It helps his grandchildren remember him. Great idea. You look great by the way.

Lori said...

What a fabulous day, and what a great tradition. And everyone is hitting the nail right on the head, you do look GREAT!!!!

Kass said...

That is an awesome tradition. We love it with Brigger's birthday. . .it's coming right up. How neat to celebrate your Dad's life like that. I'm sure he is smiling from on high. You do look great btw.