Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Yesterday turned out to be very interesting.

My elbow wouldn't go straight at all. If you know me you know my elbows don't go straight anyway but this was bad. It was totally bent like "I was trying to touch my shoulder bent." So all morning I had to use my left hand instead of my right. Having only one arm/hand can be difficult. Let's hope you don't ever have to deal with that.

Don't worry though, I took full advantage of my disability and watched TV most of the morning. I then helped Abby organize her toys. This is always a fun chore. We dumped all the buckets out onto the middle of the floor and then put everything back in the correct buckets.
Bucket #1 Barbies
Bucket #2 Barbies - this girl is a true Barbie girl - LOVES THEM!
Bucket #3 Barbie clothes
Bucket #4 Polly Pockets
Bucket #5 Littlest Pet Shops
Bucket #6 Dolly clothes
Bucket #7 Tea Party Dishes and play food
Bucket#8 Doll House Furniture
Bucket #9 Random things like purses, cell phones, play make-up, etc.

NINE Buckets people. 9!!! I told myself that she will soon out grow all these little girl toys and to just enjoy them. Half of them are Cassidy's old toys that she doesn't play with. She hardly plays with them too now that her and Cassidy spend so much doing gymnastic things outside. So we got them all organized and truthfully I think she will play with them MORE now that she can find everything.

After that I got Abby ready and took her to school. She's practicing for her school play and is singing all the cute garden songs and her part all around the house 24/7. So cute!

I was driving home from dropping her off at the bus and decided to go see my friend Christi. She just moved and I love going and seeing what she's done next to her house. We sat in the shade of her HUGE orange trees and had a nice visit. When her kids came home they picked me a BIG bag of lemons to take home. Christi - I may have to visit once a week if you keep spoiling me with lemons. I would also like to say that this was the highlight of my day. Everything after that went downhill and FAST!

I left Christi's and made a quick stop at the grocery store. I had 7 items on my list and walked out of there $137.00 poorer. And yes, I did buy more than the 7 items.

I was so excited to come home and try a new low fat yummy desert.


Angel Food Cake recipe.

Pineapple Angel Food Cake 1 box Angel Food Cake (1 step kind)
1 can crushed pineapple

Pour cake mix and pineapple with the juice in a bowl,

beat till blended,

pour into bunt pan and cook as directed on the box.

Serve with whipped topping of your choice & fresh fruit.

All was going well until I tried taking the cake out of the oven. It smelled and looked so yummy I just could hardly wait. Then I lost hold of the pan and dropped it making the light, fluffy cake fall and pretty much disintegrate right before my eyes! I was so sad and I was NOT going back to the store to get another cake mix and can of pineapple. DARN!
Don't worry - things get better....I mean worse!

I started making Dinner:
Taco Salad
Homemade Salsa
Tostadas

I started with the salsa. We love the Chili's salsa. Lets be honest, I love any fresh salsa but the kids eat the chili's salsa. I went to Recipe Zaar and got the recipe. After making it once I altered it a bit. Here's my version:

Cara's Salsa

Directions

  1. In food processor place jalapenos and onions.
  2. Process for just a few seconds.
  3. Add both cans of tomatoes, salt, garlic powder, and cumin.
  4. Process all ingredients until well blended but do not puree.
  5. Place in covered container and chill
    A couple of hours of chilling will help blend and enrich the flavor.
  6. Serve with your favorite thin corn tortilla chips.

It sure is tasty and easy! But be sure and pop it in the fridge 1st. It tastes better after it's sat awhile and is cold!

I used a fresh jalapeno because I have two plants in the garden plus I think you can monitor the heat better with fresh. I cut the jalapeno in half, de-seeded and sliced it up. I then put it in the blender with the tomatoes. I washed my hands and was very careful that I hadn't touched the seeds of the pepper. I finished the salsa then went to work cutting up veggies for the taco salad. Lettuce, tomatoes, celery, green bell peppers, avocado, olives and cheese. I got that all ready, started cooking the meat and beans, set everything out for dinner and waited for Tom to come home. By the time we were ready to eat my left hand was on FIRE!! I was soaking them in a cold glass of milk to try and ease the pain. I then went to ice cold water but nothing helped. I could hardly eat! This went on for hours. I couldn't clear the table, help my family, do the dishes. All I could do was keep my hand in ice or I would be dying!

I got on the Internet and found a site that had ideas that had worked on others. Tip King I tried aloe vera - coating my hands. That helped for awhile. I then tired a baking soda paste. I did that three times. I was so desperate I took one of my pain pills from my surgery! I didn't even take those after my surgery this is how bad it was. My last attempt at relief was rubbing alcohol. I tired this three different times before I could get some relief. When I woke up this morning my hand was fine.

I think what happened was: I didn't change the cutting board after cutting the hot pepper. I kept using it to cut the rest of the veggies (because we all know you only change the cutting board after cutting raw meat). My left hand was affected because I kept rubbing it on the cutting board each time I cut and picked up the veggies. How was I to know? I can say that NOW I DO KNOW and am passing on this information to you! I hope you never have to experience pain like that....EVER!

I was able to eat leftovers for lunch today and enjoy the yumminess. Last night I was in too much pain to like my food, family, TV, my bed......I pretty much didn't like anything last night!
Today was a much better day - yipee!!!

***Side Note: For those of you who "got me" on your silly little April Fools Day jokes - HA HA and watch out!

The best one?
Abby's teacher sent all the kids home with a red ticket.
Red tickets are BAD - Principal BAD!!!!
Abby gets in the car and say's "Mom I got a red ticket"
Ohhhhhh I was so mad - I was about to lecture her when she turned it over and said
"April Fools!!!"
Her teacher had written April Fools on the back of the red ticket....so sneaky!!!!!

4 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

holy cow horrible! ouch on the burning hand! and NO FUN on the elbow!

and huge DANG IT on the cake. that is a BUMMER!
sheesh , yesterday was not a good day.

but way to go on cooking dinner, and organizing toys! YAY!

Jenifer said...

Hate days like this! I hope your elbow is okay! Peppers are the worst, good thing you didn't touch your eye. nate did that once. You are amazing, organizing, baking and making dinner from scratch. What an amazing example you are for me!!!

uniquelynat said...

sound like just a doozy of a day!

also- i nominated you for a sisterhood award. to get your award go to

http://coolidgecarpenters.blogspot.com/

Anny said...

Wow, what a day! I hope you have better ones! At least you got all those toys organized. I love angel food cake, I would have still eaten it :)