Friday, April 16, 2010

Field Trip with Amberly



I got to chaperone for the 1st grade field trip to the Desert Botanical Gardens.  I had never been and was very excited.  The desert is in full bloom right now since we have gotten so much rain.  To start things off Amberly and I took a self portrait on the bus as we were heading out.



























1st off let me point out the three teachers in this picture. Two of them are wearing black shirts with one of them wearing a green shirt.  This is the 1st grade walking into the park with our guides.  Here's the funny part: as soon as we Mom's were paired up with 5-6 students each and a guide the teachers......disappeared!  I'm not kidding!  We thought they must be with a different group but nope...we ran into the three of them at one point and they were all alone.  Sneaky wouldn't you say?

This is one of the guides talking to us , telling us the rules and what we were going to do and see while we were there.

Amberly listening to the guide.  Do you love her matching pink water bottle?


We were told to wear good walking shoes which I did.  I should have worn shorts since it turned out to be the hottest day of the year so far - 95! and I was wearing my jeans!  Yuck!


If you go to the Desert Botanical Gardens I highly recommend getting a tour guide.  She was wonderful and taught us all kinds of fun facts about the desert.  The kids learned that each desert animal has a plant buddy.  The Gila Woodpecker and the saguaro cactus are buddies for example.  Very interesting.  There was an older couple that walked by us and said to eachother, "we need to hang with the kids!  Look at all the info they are getting!"  I thought that was funny.  (I also love the little boy in this picture that's picking his nose.)
One more thing: the guide was an exact twin to my SIL Cami.  It freaked me out a little how similar they were.  


I think Dr. Seuss got his drawing ideas from desert plants.  
Doesn't this look like it should be in one of his books?

This one too.  Isn't it so funny!


The kids (and my) favorite part was the butterfly exhibit.  We went to a butterfly farm in St. Thomas that I thought was the coolest thing ever!  And here we had one right in our own backyard.  Amazing!!  The kids had so much fun trying to get the butterflies to land on them.  Amberly was sad that one didn't land on her but we had fun looking at them all.  And...they had the misters on full blast which was a welcome relief from the heat!!


On the bus ride home - which was very LOUD Amberly took her own set of pictures.
1) her shoes 2) the LOUD boys behind us 3) her self portrait.
There were about five Mom's that sat together on the ride back and we had fun talking and laughing while the kids went a little crazy.  All in all it was really fun and we will defiantly be going back so we can walk around the gardens and see everything it has to offer!  I loved it!!!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

This looks like so much fun. I have been missing the desert lately! I love these pictures, what a fun field trip. Did you know I'll be there in June for a month ... I'm inviting us over to swim - k ♥

Jenifer said...

This was one of my favorite field trips when I went with Megan. So pretty!

Lauralee said...

95? we are excited about it possibly being 65 today! :)
I have totally been on field trips where the teachers are off by themselves..
I haven't seen plants like you posted- that would be a fun thing to see!

Anny said...

Look so fun! I love having one on one time with my kids. Your pictures are wonderful.