Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Gig is Up

It's happened.  My life as a fun Mom is officially over. 

Abby found about the Easter Bunny yesterday. 

The..day..before..Easter!

I was gone helping a friend with her garage sale. 
Abby came in and put her little face right in front of Tom's face and said,

" Dad, is the Easter Bunny real?  Tell the truth."

And he did.  He told her everything gosh darn it.  If it were me I would have lied my pants off and kept the whole thing going till she was 25.  I mean what's the fun in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus if the kids know about it?

I guess they had a very enlightening conversation about it and Tom told her about the "secret of Christmas" and that even though Santa and the Easter Bunny aren't real, Heavenly Father and Jesus ARE real and they love her.  Abby said, "Dad I know they are real, I can feel them".  It was a very powerful teaching moment Tom said.  They decided not to tell me and to keep her knowing a secret.  But by that night she just couldn't hold it in.  She told me she knew and then we had a cute conversation about it.  I said, "so you know everything?"   She said, "yes"  i said, "does that mean the Tooth Fairy doesn't have to come now?" she got this shocked look on her face and just looked at me, then turned to Tom and looked at him like, WHAT?  YOU DIDN'T TELL ME ABOUT THE TOOTH FAIRY?!  I then turned to Tom and said those same words out loud.  He sheepishly said he forgot.  So basically the whole thing is done.  Over.  Finished.

As I was getting their baskets ready to put out from "the Easter Bunny"  I just sat there and bawled.  My heart was broken.  Sounds dumb but I lived for these holidays.  I even made some up so I could live for more holidays.  We had the Valentine Fairy, The Little Leprechaun, The Easter Bunny, The Tooth Fairy, The Birthday Fairy, and Santa Claus.  I cried and cried and the worst part was I couldn't call my Mom and ask her what to do now?  I had a major pitty party I've got to tell you.  I even cried the entire next day about it.  I would tell people at church and just start to cry.  It will be alright.  My girls were very sweet about how sad I was and said they would continue to "believe" so I could keep up with my traditions.  I'm thinking I only have about ten years until I have grand-kids and then watch out!  This Grandma is going to pull out all the stops!  Just you wait.

No comments: