Monday, September 10, 2007

Hi, I'm Cara.....

.....................and I'm a costume addict.

Yes, the 1st step is to admit you have a problem. I am here to admit my problem and.........get everyone else to become an addict too!!

Let me explain. Every year since Cassidy was 3 I have scoured the thrift stores in the month of Sept and Oct. for dress up clothes (aka-costumes) and saved them for her birthday presents. Silly it may sound, but they have been the best birthday presents I have bought every single year for the past 5 years. My girls LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to dress up. If you have ever been to my house you will know that dress up is the theme around here. My girls wear dress-up clothes more than regular clothes.


So, September has started and I have begun the thrift store obsession. I really need to stop, but can't. It's only been one week and I have been twice and gotten seven new things for the girls. When will my madness end??? (maybe when Halloween is over!)

I think this all started when I was little and I went garage saleing with my Mom. I remember going through a box on this little tiny lady's front yard and finding dresses, shoes and hats, all about my six year old size. (well, not really but they weren't too big and perfect for dress up) My Mom bought the box and I came home with endless hours of fun that I still remember having. When Cassidy was 2 1/2 my Mom made her a blue Sleeping Beauty dress for Halloween. I am not lying when I say Cassidy wore that dress every single day for one full year until the next Halloween. She wore it to the store, library, park, parties, dinner, where ever she went. My Mom had to mend it several times to keep it from falling apart. We still have it and it's Abby's favorite dress and won't share it with anyone.
                                                                                                                                                                        This is when my obsession started. I thought, "Hey, if she loves dress up (and secretly so do I) then lets get her some dress up clothes!" My Mom and I went thrifty and between the two of us cleaned Savers out that 1st year. Cass and her cousins were in dress-up heaven! My Mom was just as obsessed as I was. We both had a dress up box filled with goodness.



So now I am confessing this on my blog not really to help my addiction because I know it will continue until my girls are too "cool" to dress up, but to start someone else's addiction. If you are reading this and have children who have imagination - then you need to go and scour those thrift stores this month. Did you know that the thrift stores keep all donated, wonderful, used costumes all year in the back only bringing them out starting NOW!!! I have never paid more than $3.99 for any of my fabulous costumes. Some of them handmade, some of them from the Disney Store, and some of them just plain awesome! We have wigs (not used -ew gross), shoes, hats, crowns, wands, prince costumes, batman, superman, soccor man, (we have boy cousins - can't be discriminatory)capes, jewelry and gloves. If you can imagine it, we have it!!!


So go out there! Find some good stuff! Have your kids be four different things this Halloween just because....they can!!!! Mine do! Last year they were something different every party we went to. It was so fun! I'm a sucker for fun, good cheap, imaginary fun!


Here is the new Pink Sleeping Beauty dress my Mom made for Cass, and the poor, old, falling apart blue Sleeping Beauty dress she made for Cass six years ago. Yes they both wore them to Disneyland and yes even though the dress was worn and ragged, it was worn with love and it's a memory I will keep forever.


Here is a picture of Abby's room where we keep her dress up clothes. It says, "Some days you just feel like a princess!"
At our house that seems to be everyday!







11 comments:

Kimmurs said...

You are too funny, can't wait to see you ! I remember the chuckee cheese outfit you used to dress up in !!!!!

Dancin Queen said...

What a fun mom you are! I love dressing up too. My favorite part about owning a dance studio is picking out costumes!

Jennifer said...

I just love you Cara! What a blast. Okay, so while you're out this week, if you find something western for me, pick it up. I'm going to Rascal Flatt's on Thursday and think it would be fun to dress up!

Lizzy said...

You are the best Mom in the world. i need to get names from you so i can start going for london. She doesn't know it yet, but she loves to play dress up, and so does her mom ;)I am already getting excited to pick this up-maybe i'll go tomorrow. You will have to look at my blog to see London's first halloween Oct o6 she was only a couple weeks old and i was already having too much fun. I am so excited for her to love it as much as you and your girls do :)so cute!!
http://the-rigby-family.blogspot.com/2006_10_01_archive.html

Webb Family said...

That is one of the biggest reasons why I love Halloween! I need to go & stock up. Paige was going today just to get boy stuff so Landon will stop wearing all the dresses! I have so many great memories of dressing up in my Grandma's old but fancy shoes & dresses.
You remind me of my Aunt. When she built her dream house she had a HUGE walk in closet built just for her costumes!

Lindsey said...

what a great idea!! dress up clothes for bdays!! love you it.

Stie: My Favorite Things said...

Such a cute idea! I love it!

Crazymamaof6 said...

you are the nicest mom ever! that is how my mother in law is hunting for dress up clothes and stocking up! the assortment is never ending! gotta love savers! i am a fan of the after Halloween clearance racks. and the Disney store clears theirs out around the 4th of July! gearing up Halloween then.

i am not a costume addict. sad to say but i think it is messy and i hate it when i have gotten them all cute and matchy to have them change into a dress up dress! it is for some people but not for me! but i love Halloween! and fully indulge them for that big event!

Megan said...

That is so funny! I just went to savers last week cause my son always wants to be a fireman but ONLY has a hat. Their assortment of girls dress up was amazing but the boy stuff kinda stunk! I will have to try a few different ones if you haven't emptied them all yet!

Lori said...

Who needs to go to Savers, we can just all come over to your house. It looks like you have all the selections!!! How fun!!

Mique said...

Just wanted to say hi- i found you through a bunch of people (jill, kristi, wendi, christie, etc, etc)...love your blog.