Monday, October 22, 2007

Memory Lane Monday

Brooke over at Just all in a Day had the cutest post, and I just had to do the same. Thanks Brooke!

I didn't know my Great Granny Finder but my Mom talked about her all the time. One of the stories she like to tell was how her and her sisters got the famous Sugar Cookie Recipe.

Granny Finder would always make these yummy sugar cookies but didn't use a recipe. Every time my grandma or her girls would try and get the recipe she would say, "Oh you just add a little of this or a little of that." So one day my Mom and her sisters watched very carefully how Granny Finder was making those darned, secret, delicious cookies and wrote down everything she did. When she was adding the sour cream, Aunt Janet would say, "about how much was that Grandma?" This went on until they had the recipe. These are the only sugar cookies we grew up eating. My Mom never put frosting on them. She would sprinkle sugar on them before baking with the antique silver sugar shaker ( I wonder where that went? Did I get it? I'll have to look into it. I would love to have that sugar shaker. So many memories). To this day I don't like sugar cookies with frosting on them. Too sweet! Poor Tom, he loves the frosting!

Another memory of these cookies is when I was married and my friend Brandi and I tried and tried to make these cookies. We just couldn't get it right. Come to find out we were using light (or maybe even fat free) sour cream and that just doesn't work. You have to use the real thing! Remember....Granny Finder didn't have light or fat free sour cream so we can't use it either!

So Happy Halloween and I hope you enjoy these cookies!

Granny Finder's Sugar Cookies
2 cups Sugar
2 cups Crisco
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1tsp. soda
vanilla (about 1 tsp)
flour

cream sugar & Crisco. Add eggs, beaten. Put soda in sour cream then add to sugar mix. Add vanilla. Add enough flour to handle - it will be a rather soft dough.

Roll out and cut into shapes (I like the cookies to be thick)
Bake at 350 until just golden around the bottom edge.
10 min. if cut thick
7-8 min. if cut thin

**for an extra special Halloween treat try this: add orange food coloring into the sugar-cookie dough. Use a triangle-shaped cutter; bake and let cool. Dip the wide base of each cookie into melted dark chocolate, then dip the tips into melted white chocolate. Set on a parchment-lined baking pan and chill in freezer for 5 minutes. They will look like a big piece of candy corn!

7 comments:

Dancin Queen said...

Can't wait to try them!

Grandma T. said...

Cara you just made my day with this post. The memory of those cookies took me right back to Grandma Eckhardt's kitchen. Your update with the orange cookie dipped in chocolate was INSPIRED! You will keep the traditions alive! xx00 Aunt Janet

Erin said...

Sounds yummy! I may actually have to make cookies.

cindylou said...

Cara, you are too cute! You are definitely one to keep traditions going! Way to go for figuring that recipe out! They sound yummy!! I think I'll have to try them out. But...I'm like Tom...I LOVE the frosting!

Crazymamaof6 said...

yummy! i am totally gonna make lance try this! sounds delightful to me!

lindsey said...

i love sugar cookies. what a cute idea to make them look like candy corns.

Webb Family said...

I'm so happy to see you did this. I love hearing all about your fun memories. Those cookies sound yummy can't wait to try them!