Monday, November 5, 2007

Memory Lane Monday

Tonight for FHE we all sat down to watch Dancing with the Stars. I am loving this season for two reasons, most of the dancers are dressed modestly and we are voting for 4 different stars!!

As always my girls had to go get their "dancing dresses" on so they can dance while the dancers dance. They are so cute. It's almost more fun to watch the girls than the stars! Go figure...isn't that what a parent is supposed to say??

Anyway, tonight as I was watching both sets of dancers it brought back a flood of memories of when I was young and my family used to sit on Sunday nights and watch this:

My brothers and I would dance the night away to the music on this show. We had tons of, "watch this Mom," or "look at us!" My brother Matt was very good at leading me around the living room floor doing the waltz or the cha-cha. We sure had a lot of fun and I'm sure my parents had as much fun watching us as I do my girls. Too bad less clothing is "in" now days and each week we have to have the modesty talk. However the music is a lot more jazzy and I am sure liking that!!
We did grow up in a house full of music. My Dad was an amazing piano player and my Mom was a music major and a very famous singer when I was young. She was always rehearsing for some performance or another and there were always practices going on at the house. I grew up in the 70's and my Mom thought all 70's music was evil and had no soul. So we listened to a lot of classical music, show tunes and of course 50's music. There was ALWAYS music playing of some sort ALL THE TIME!! I remember we were listening to My Turn on Earth and of course dancing around the house and the doorbell rings. We answer it and it's the missionary's. They said, "Oh you must be LDS we can hear your music down the street!" Um, yep that would be us!
I wish I could say I inherited the music gene from my parents like my brothers did. I did not. I did inherit a love of all kinds of music especially piano music. I love to hear someone play the piano. It reminds me of my Dad. I could always tell who was playing the piano even though I wasn't in the room. My Dad would never make a mistake and my Mom would mess up a little here or there. That was my clue. I'm so thankful that my parents taught us their love of music. I hope I can pass it on to my kids even if it is in the form of "Dancing with the Stars!"

8 comments:

Lisa said...

what a great memory of your parents. I love all of your stories and I can just see you telling this one about your folks, hand gestures and all! this blog totally made my night!

Pam said...

Kurt would never admit to dancing the night away, but I do believe you would get those boys to do anything.

idahohubers said...

We were doing the same thing tonight. I love watching that show. I'm smiling reading this, for many reasons 1. I have wonderful memories of your parents and 2. I'm remembering the cover of the "bedtime" album your mom played for you all. Does that ring a bell? Do you know the one I'm thinking of....

Dancin Queen said...

I haven't watched yesterday yet, it's on my tivo, but I was so sad last week when Sabrina got sent home! She was so fun to watch!

Grandma T. said...

I loved this post Cara. Living so far away from you guys I never got the picture of what your every day family life was like. This music thing was very warm and happy for me to read. I remember coming on vacation and going to the beach and all the other wonderful places. I kept the sand dollars until we packed up to come down here. I remember your mother's famous tacos with avocados which our family hadn't discovered yet. I think we ate at the table that is now in my house. I miss your parents and still am amazed at all that Barbara did with her life and what a special person your dad was. Families are forever.

Crazymamaof6 said...

love DWTS! my daughter loves to say who is cute. she's 3 . and that is her highest compliment! fun memories! singing ad dancing and music seems almost universal growing up. love your family memories. made get a tad teary.

Webb Family said...

What a wonderful post! I always love hearing about others and things they did when they were young! I looove Dancing with the Stars and have a girl crush on Julianne HEE HEE!! Which 4 are you voting for?

Melody said...

I so remember watching the Lawrence Welk show as a family when we were little. Our kids like to watch it too now when we catch a rerun saturday nights on good ole PBS.