Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas Traditions #9

The Advent Calendarthe original
the new one, along with our candy garland advent calendar

Growing up one of my favorite memories was getting to do the advent calendar every year. My Mom made the one in the above photo I'm sure at some church function. The best part of that calendar is that she had a red heart with white pearls for her anniversary (and now our anniversary) and a little pink and white birthday cake with a candle for my birthday.
Ever since she had moved to AZ I had been asking her for the advent calendar. She couldn't find it but said she would keep looking. After she died and we were going through all her stuff I found the advent calendar right behind her bedroom door! That's when I started crying. I hadn't really cried up to that point but when I saw that calendar the flood gates opened! My brother Kurt came in and saw the calendar and said he had been wanting it too. So for some unselfish reason (not normal for me, he-he) I let him have it. Last year for Christmas I bought all my brothers an advent calendar similar to the one we grew up with. I even made them a red heart with white pearls and 3 little cakes for the girls and I.
When I went to my brothers house the other night it was nice to see that good ol' calendar hanging with pride on his wall for his little boys to start their own tradition. (I even got a little teary)

7 comments:

Dancin Queen said...

Awwwh, you are so sweet! What a neat memory.

Jenifer said...

I also love the advent calendar. My aunt would always buy me the chocolate one every year. One year I didn't get it and I was confused. My mom reminded me that I was 17 and getting a little too old for it. But I don't think you ever get too old!

Erin said...

What fun traditions you have! I think I'll just copy them all!

Lizzy said...

I just got one for the first time this year. So fun! Your Mom just sounds so amazing! I am so sorry you lost her so young. I am sure she is so proud of you and your family. What wonderful traditions you have. I agree with Erin I might have to copy some :)

Pam said...

Everyday Garrett was excited to find a new ornament for the tree. I love the opportunity it creates to tell him about his Grandma and Grandpa. It's waiting for you for next year.

Crazymamaof6 said...

So sweet! and what a nice sister to let her brother have it. made me a little teary just reading about it! you had the funnest traditions! thanks for sharing all of them !

Webb Family said...

We had one of these growing up & loved it every year! I made one for Bunko gift exchange, I wish I would have took a picture.