Monday, June 16, 2008

Cara's Catch-Up for the Blog

It never ceases to amaze me that when I get into a blogging rut all I have to do is plug in my camera and BAM! I have about 20 posts just waiting to happen. I forget to check the camera for inspiration because lets face it.......
1. I have to go get the camera out of my purse or camera bag.
2. Find the correct cord in the basket-o-cords.
3. Upload pictures and label.
This sounds easy but when you factor in my procrastination and my girls who interrupt me right when I am doing something for me this is why I fall into said "blogging rut".
Never fear though fellow bloggers - I have successfully downloaded more pictures than I could possible use and will be doing a few back posts to make up for my laziness!
I also wanted to thank Kristi @ Everything is Pink for this fun idea for a "Catch-Up" picture that I made for the blog.
For my 1st "catch-up" post I wanted to show you what I did with all this candy! We don't eat a lot of candy around here but I want to keep some on hand for those times when it is greatly needed. (use your imagination).
First I went and got a bunch of BIG bags of candy like these:
I then used my handy Deni Jar Vac to suck out all the air and seal the candy into jars. This way the candy will store for a long time and it's hard for little girls to open the jars.


This is what I ended up with. The problem is that I am storing these in my pantry on the shelf and it is too much of a temptation for all of us. The girls have eaten one whole jar of M&M's. I think I am going to have to move these jars filled with precious cargo to a hidden location only I know about. (That why I can be the only one to sneak some - Hee,Hee!)
I also labeled 3 jars just for the girls so they know for absolute certainty which jars they CAN use to house their little critters they find out in the garden. I am kind of a little grossed out with finding my good jars outside filled with who-knows-what!
I also got a little label happy on the computer and labeled all my containers in the pantry. I couldn't decide which font I liked best so I did different ones. Tom came home and had a nice laugh. He said I was the only one he knows who could make labels cute. I took that as a compliment. ÜÜÜ
**the best part about that Deni Jar Vac is that you can re-use old jars like spaghetti sauce jars as long as they have the rubber seal on the lid. You can also open a jar, use some, then re-seal the jar. It's very handy to store dry goods for long periods of time.**

15 comments:

Jennifer said...

You always do the cutest things!

Can I come swimming some time?

Kendra said...

I love all of your ideas! Someday when I have a pantry maybe I will...actually I doubt I will ever do something that cute. The candy would be gone regardless of what container it is in at my house. We are bad snackers and choco-holics.

sara said...

wow..you are so organized and by the way emma got a comb stuck in her hair one time and i remember praying frantically to get it out, thankfully it did come out without any real important hair loss...and those cupcakes look beautiful, i have heard a LOT about how good they are, i think i may just have to check it out!

Vidal's Nest said...

Wow looks like a candy store! I would hide chocolate for "emergencies" too, but one good look at my butt not too long ago put a nix on that!
Love your Deni vac!

Lori ~ LL-K said...

Love the Labels! Very cute!

idahohubers said...

I've missed a bunch of posts! Now that I've read them all I feel updated again. I love your labels. And thanks for the picture of the car dash- a reminder to count my blessings when we hit 20 below up here! I'd rather be cold than hot. I do wish we had a splash pad though, the kids and I would be all over that! Congrats on the tomatoes. Garden fresh are the best but I still haven't planted mine yet!

Jenifer said...

you win the best pantry award. Tom is right, you are the only one who could make something like this cute and fun!

Crazymamaof6 said...

love the labels! did you do them on label paper? i'm just wondering. and love teh jars full of candy and some just for bugs. EWWw. we have that issue too. and LOVE your catchup label. So cute! you rock! glad you are out of your rut .for a little bit.

Rosehaven Cottage said...

Hubby gets amused with my organization implementations too but in the end he always admits that he loves how it makes him feel when he looks at the cute little labels. :-)

Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

Em said...

Where did you get that fancy jar thing I love it. At my house it would be a waste of time to seal the candy :)Although my husband did hide the chocolate his Mom brought him from Germany.

Webb Family said...

I love my Deni jar vac too! I have to keep all the goods under my side of the bed or it would be gone too!

Erin said...

OK, where did you get the Deni Jar Vac? I have never heard of one before. What else do you do with it besides jar candy?

Andrea said...

Ooooohhh looks like a candy shop! I would be WAY TOO tempted to have that much candy on hand. We are ALL sugar monsters!!!

I LOVE labeling things too!

Yours are super cute!!

Darling catchup bottle too!!

loving life with livie said...

I want to know more about this Deni-Vac thing...what else can it do?

Cute post!

Anny said...

I love the labels, I get label happy sometimes.