Sunday, June 8, 2008

Week 22

I am very proud of myself. Yes, I can say that and it may sound a little braggy but let me explain. You see I love to garden. I have been gardening all my life. My parents both were planters, my dad always had a huge garden, my Mom - flowers. When I was little (about 8 and up) I would save my money and spend it on house plants. I had a huge bookshelf in my room filled with house plants. (Do you remember that Jeni D?) I promise I'm going somewhere with this........

Anyway, since I have been married FLOWERS have been my passion. Hence "Garden View Cottage". I am a flower freak and if you know me you will know this to be true! My last house was covered in flowers and that was my passion. I had never done anything edible except edible flowers and herbs Ü.

This year I thought I would try tomatoes. I read a funny book a while back called "The $64 Tomato" (Totally worth the read if you even are remotely into gardening.) It inspired me to plant some heirloom tomato's and I got a few others to try. I have about 7 plants out there and this is my blessing for this week. (It's all coming together now are you still following me?)

Tomato plants for your blessing you ask? Well, since tomato's have been linked to salmonella you can't get tomato's anywhere. Tonight I walked out to my garden, picked a few and came back in, cut them up and we had tomato's on our tostadas! This my folks is why I am so proud of myself. My first ever edible food crop and it's coming in quite handy since tomato's are scarce!

10 comments:

Bits Of Becca said...

I'm on vacation and just found out tomatoes are not available. I was so sad. I love tomatoes. That is a blessing to have tomatoes in your back yard. I might have to have a garden now.

Lori ~ LL-K said...

Wow! What beautiful tomatoes!! I’m totally impressed!! You are amazing!! I love tomatoes!!

Crazymamaof6 said...

awesome! that is RAD! way to go!~ and tomatoes are a fabulous starter crop. they pretty much take care of themselves. as long as you water them. i say that like i have done it before. i haven't but my mom does. and well if she can do it i can. right? SURE!

awesome, now i am coveting your crops!

Dancin Queen said...

What a great time to be harvesting tomatoes, for sure!

Jenifer said...

you could probably sell your tomatoes for $64. Good job on the garden. Mine poofed away in the heat.

cindylou said...

Wow -- those are the most perfect tomatoes I've seen! I'm so impressed, Cara! You're awesome! I love gardening -- even if the end result isn't quite what I was hoping for. It's so fun to dig around in the dirt and watch something that YOU'VE grown! And then to get to eat it -- that's the best!!

Vidal's Nest said...

There is something so satisfying when you grow your own food. I loved having a garden. Your tomatoes are beautiful. Good job!

andrea j said...

Way to go!! I bet you enjoyed every bite. Great picture too, they look so juicy :)

carrie & troy keiser said...

It is awesome to run out to the garden and get your veggies! Hopefully before too late we will get ours in the ground.... first it was too cold still and now I've got a weed patch to clear and the rain to fight to get out and get it done!
Great blessing.

loving life with livie said...

loved the picture of your $64 tomato!
we, too are grateful we planted tomatoes...just in the nick of time, too!
how could we possible eat a salad with no tomato? Ü