Monday, July 7, 2008

Back From Our Trip To Colorado

We got back from our trip to Colorado this weekend. Tom had a meeting in Montrose Co. on the 3rd and the 5th so the girls and I tagged along so we could be with him on the 4th of July (one of my favorite holidays). Luckily our friends John and Suzanne, Jane, Jill and Heidi just moved there so we had friends to hang out with while Tom worked.

The girls had so much fun playing with their "sisters". These girls have been best friends their whole lives! I think Jane and Cass were 2 yrs old when I started watching Jane and Jill was 6 weeks old when I got to watch her. I call them my "other daughters" because if I could have them I would!! (I'm sure John and Suzanne would mind if I took them since they are so sweet!)

The weather was WONDERFUL!! We even got to wear sweatshirts and.....it rained!!! Loved the weather and the mountains and trees were so pretty. I fell head over heels in love with Telluride Co. that we stopped to see on our way back home. I am truly smitten for sure with that darling little town. I'll tell more about it later on in my posting of the trip. But just know that I have a new love and am wishing that I could have stayed longer and explored further!!

I have 400 pictures to weed through and will be posting more about our trip in the next few days. We got our family picture taken on the 4th, went to Main Street for the town party night, we went and saw Kit Kitkitterdge and the girls and I loved it!!! It was so cute and it was fun to take 4 girls to the movies who like to go to the movies (that does make all the difference you know). We set off a bazillion fireworks and Tom was like a kid in a candy store. He had the most fun out of everyone! I haven't seen a smile on his face that big in a long time - he was a pyro for sure and the kids loved every second of it! We also bar-b-qued fresh Colorado Salmon - caught that very day out at the river....who knew??? -- and it was divine, saw a home town parade, watched the fireworks and the hill catch on fire because of the fireworks, stayed in a very nice lodge at the golf club (for free!), went antiquing, got to run in and out of several tee-pees at the Ute Museum, went to the Russel Stover Chocolate Factory and I have NEVER seen so much candy in one place at one time - AMAZING!!! Oh and lets not forget that we drove in our car 10 long hours there and then 8 hours back because of a shortcut. Did I also mention that I hate to travel anywhere longer than 6 hours. That is my limit and there is a reason for that. More than 6 hours is just plain torture for anyone especially me! But I survived and I made it there and back without too much complaining. My girls however.....didn't complain once and didn't fight either! They are such great travelers. They make the trip fun and it's not the same when we go without them. Oh, I almost forgot....we also stopped at The Four Corners Monument and I got to put my feet and hands in four different states all at the same time ( I saw a picture of my Aunt Kathy doing this when I was young and HAD to stop and do it too!).

There will be a lot of fun posting and pictures coming soon so check back in a few days. Like I said I have 400 pictures (which I know you can't wait to see all 400 Ü ) so as soon as I edit and organize I'll be posting them!

Happy 4th of July!!!

10 comments:

sara said...

sounds like an amazing vacation...and by the way smores in the oven, who knew, i am going to have to try that!!

Jennifer said...

Fun fun FUN! And those s'mores look YUMMY!!!!

Bits Of Becca said...

What a fun vacation. I'm glad the weather was good for you. It is always fun to wear a sweatshirt. Colorado is beautiful and a fun place to visit. Last time I went, there were a couple major snow storms and we almost got stuck there for a couple of days. I'm glad we got out and safely home.

Jenifer said...

I bet the cool weather felt soooo good! I could go for some sweatshirt weather right now! I've always wanted to do the four corners picture, we were going to do it last time we went to Moab, but with weather problems it didn't work out. Maybe I'll just have to be jealous until next year:) We'll have to do lunch again so you can tell me about the trip!

Vidal's Nest said...

Sounds wonderful! Isn't telluride a super cute town? I love it!
Can't wait to see the pics

Anny said...

Cara, sounds like a super fun vacation. I haven't been to Telluride but hear wonderful things about it! We just went to Red Lodge MT (a simular mountain town) this week and had an awesome time! Can't wait to see the pictures!

Let Your Hair Down said...

K thats my hometown! Well, not really, Grand Jct is but we always were in Montrose for one thing or another. And "To Hell You Ride" (it use to be called) is one of my most fav places. I love it! What a fun trip! can't wait to see the pics

Let Your Hair Down said...

K thats my hometown! Well, not really, Grand Jct is but we always were in Montrose for one thing or another. And "To Hell You Ride" (it use to be called) is one of my most fav places. I love it! What a fun trip! can't wait to see the pics

steele's said...

What a fun trip! Hurry and get those pics on--I can't read books without pictures!:) Love your blog!

cindylou said...

I'm soo sad that you were HERE in CO!! Next time you'll have to come to Denver! Sounds like you guys had a fun time! And good for you for being such a good sport about riding in the car all that looong way!