Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Drive (Colorado Part 2)

I loved how I could look ahead and see mountains and trees and look behind us and see nothing but the same. It felt like we were being swallowed up into the mouth of the mountains.
The only draw back of this trip was the time in the car. I do not travel well due to my arthritis which makes me very, very uncomfortable when standing (or in this case) sitting for long periods of time. My girls are much better travelers than I am and I admire them for that. I am the one that is following the map to see when our next stop is, or asking if we can stop at the next town. They would be happy to drive all 10 hours straight! (yuck)


I do want to say that the drive was beautiful once we got into Colorado. The was a whole lot of vast nothingness while driving through New Mexico. We did see a remarkable sunset against some very interestingly shaped rock formations. I could see movies being filmed there where someone was dropped off in the middle of nowhere or maybe a moon scene. Once we crossed the border into Co. trees were everywhere and beautiful mountains came into view. I have never seen so many trees all at once. My eyes could hardly take it all in. It was amazingly beautiful. They don't call it "God's Country" for nothing!
I took a lot of pictures while driving through these mountains with trees as far as the eye could see. I was trying to be creative but lets face it....after 3-4 shots everything pretty much looks the same so I hope I don't bore you with the next pictures. I was amazed at the vast amount of open land. California has open land that is ugly and can't be used because of who knows what but this was open land that is strikingly beautiful! Why are there not more people snatching it up? Tom and I wondered this. (I have thought it's because in the winter the part we were driving through is covered in mounds of snow - that might deter people)




This area took my breath away because who ever lives in the little cottage/cabin has the most remarkable view! Mountains, a lake, trees, clouds. It's perfect! What a view!!



I LOVE CLOUDS! There were some amazing clouds on our trip. They seemed so close to us. The only other time I have seen clouds closer than these was when I was in Casper Wyo. visiting my Grandmother. The clouds there where so close I felt like I could reach up and grab them. These were almost as good! Cassidy said, "Mom do you think Grampa is floating on that cloud right there? It looks comfortable!" I bet he wishes he was....I do!
Lastly I had to get a Colorado Sunset. I loved how I could see the whole sun setting without buildings or homes to get in my way!

10 comments:

Lori ~ LL-K said...

Your pictures are amazing!!

Crazymamaof6 said...

love all the trees and the sunset! fun trip. ouch on achy in the car too long. but beautiful change of scenery!

Kendra said...

Breathtaking photos - I love the view from the car! Very creative. Way to go, Cara!

Anny said...

What beautiful photos. I love the rear view mirror picture and the sunset. Colorado is beautiful.

Andrea said...

WOW!!! Those pics are GORGEOUS!!! What beautiful land! I love the pic from the car mirror! Those sunsets are amazing!

Think Pink said...

Looks like you guys had an awesome vacation! Great Pictures! The clubhouse place looks amazing! How fun!

miscellany said...

You are quite a little shutterbug! Great pictures of this beautiful land we were given.

Sue said...

So did you drive up through Durango, Silverton, etc or did you go up through Telluride? I loved the picture through the rearview mirror. It really is like that - mountains everywhere. Love it!

Your pictures are gorgeous and remind me that I should take more pictures of this fabulous place.
Some of our very best friends from dental school live in Montrose and absolutely love it there. We're about 2.5 hours from them, but over those mountains passes, visits don't happen nearly as often as they should.

Enjoy your summer. We're looking forward to hanging out with the McDowell's in Oregon coming up SOON!

Em said...

I love the pictures! Colorado is beautiful! Sounds like a fun trip!

Vidal's Nest said...

It's making my heart hurt looking at your pictures. I saw this post the other day but felt too sad to post.
Tony and I would go for drives on his day off up to the mountains. Almost weekly. Colorado is like this all around. Cute little towns up in the mountains, beautiful trees, the air feels so good. In Estes park you would have to drive really carefully because there were elk everywhere! Sometimes you would have to wait for 2-3 minutes for a herd to finish crossing the street! It was awesome!
Sometimes stupid people would try to get close to them like tryng to pet them!The bulls would stand and snort and we would get excited thinking maybe the idiot would get knocked on their butts! Didn't happen but was exciting thinking maybe it would!