Friday, July 25, 2008

Pictures From Our Trip

We stopped at Hartnell College for some candy. This was such a ritual from my childhood. My brothers and I spent all our money on candy at the bookstore! It was right across the street from our house and as kids we would spend every penny possible there! Tom bought me a shirt and I wore it for my brothers who thought it was hilarious!We had to have a picture on the Panther. My Dad took us on walks to Hartnell since we could walk and we always got to sit on the panther. I think this was the most photographed spot for our family pictures!
We got to go into my childhood home and show the girls where Mama lived. They loved the milk door by the back door and the built in ironing board. The lady who lives here now has really done a great job restoring the house. It's almost 100 years old! Such a great little house. I couldn't believe how small it was and six people grew up in that house!Tom and Cassidy brought their golf clubs and got to hit some balls in Pacific Grove with the ocean as their backdrop! So beautiful!!
Cassidy's swing is getting very good. She had fun hitting balls with Dad and Sister.
Abby had a little rest on the steps of the Pebble Beach Lodge. Notice the coat - I did say it was cold there right?
Here we are at my favorite beach - Carmel-By-The-Sea It was chilly but it was worth it. The girls loved chasing the waves and finding seaweed. I don't know how they got in that freezing cold water - it took my breath away and the waves just got my toes! Tom told me that he associates the beach (San Diego) with warm weather, surfing, boogie boarding. I associate the beach with walking the length of the beach wearing a coat and taking in the beautiful scenery. I think I can count on one hand the times I actually got into the water growing up. But I love it just the same!

We had a great time at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. This was the girls favorite exhibit. They got to touch starfish, abalone, sea sponge, sea cucumber etc. We couldn't pull them away! The volunteers there were just awesome in drawing the kids in and explaining the different creatures! One gentleman said there are 900 volunteers there! WOW!Tom and the girls loved the penguins as well. Look how close they are! One of them was right up next to the glass. He must have had a crush on my little cuties!

We stopped at Fosters Freeze and got a treat. I lived on this and Tico's Tacos in High School.
My High School. It's over 100 years old and has been re-done. It looked better than when I went there for sure!
We stopped at Central Park which was at the end of my street growing up. Everything looked the same except the big train was gone. The girls had fun playing and running around. Abby did the monkey bars for the first time all the way to the end!

Cassidy of course found a tree to climb so I snapped this picture of the pretty girl.Tom and I out on 17 mile drive. This is by the Lone Cypress but notice whats missing from the picture? Yep- The Lone Cypress. I think the lady who took the picture was German or something and didn't understand what we were saying.

We had such a fun time in two days. The girls soaked up everything we showed them and were such great travelers. I think it was fun for them to see where Mom grew up and all the stories that I tell them come to life! I'm sure Cassidy will remember the trip and hopefully Abby will too. At least parts of it. She still talks about Hawaii so there's hope. And my goal is to not wait eight years before going again. It's just too pretty of a place to miss! So watch out my traveling partners - I'll be planning a trip back soon and you are all coming with me!


14 comments:

Erin said...

What a fun trip. I was stumped as to where you were. I just couldn't imagine a place where you would have to wear a coat in the summer. Glad that you had a fun time!

Dancin Queen said...

I was stumped too! Anyway, loved listening to you reminiscing. I feel like this whenever I go to BYU. It reminds me of my years there as a student, but also my parents used to take me there as a kid. We always have to get our picture in front of the cougar!

idahohubers said...

My favorite picture is of your old house. My memory of it is so vague, but it looks just like I thought it would! What a fun spontaneous vacation. Oh, I also love your high school - it looks like it's from the movies!

Crystal Star said...

Love these photos and learning more about what made you so wonderful. Of course you grew up in that house!

Crazymamaof6 said...

what a fabulous trip!loveallof your pictures of the special places you lived, and things you did! SO FUN! seriouly! and love your glasses so cute with the candy. and love love the one in front of your house. whoohoo for golf!what a fab trip! HUGS! so happy for you!

Grandma T. said...

We ate the famous Clausen Tacos while sitting around the table you blessed us with from your mother's things. Good Guac! and picking up sand dollars on the beach. Wondrful memories. xxoo

raising4boys said...

What a great blessing to go back home!! I love your pictures. Especially Abby on the stairs and you with your darling girls.

Lori said...

Those photos are great. Any beach is heaven, even if it's cold. You look so great in all your pictures. You're lucky you're so photogenic!!! What a beauty you are! What a great hubby to take you home!

Tiffany said...

What FUN!!! I'm so glad you got to go back and show your girls all your memories. I wish I could... I moved every 3 years growing up, so it would be tricky showing them everything!

...and I LOVED that your house and school are 100 years old! Their cute styles "match" you! Very fun!!

Cindy said...

Looks like you guys had soo much fun!! What a wonderful hubby you've got to whisk you away on such a fun trip like this! Yay for Tom!! And the pictures you took are all soo adorable! You're turning into quite the photographer! :o)

loving life with livie said...

Fun! Fun! Love the pictures. That house is soooo cute & what a fun high school to have been able to go to.

I long to be able to wear winter clothes. I can't wait for summer to be OVER!!!

Anny said...

At first I thought you were saying the Lone Cypress was gone and I was going to die.(Although I think they said they replace it every few years or something.) Anyway, funny picture, gotta love those foreigners. Your house looks great! Are there still oreo cookie crumbs in your old room?
Your girls are beautiful and it looks like they had a great time! What a great opportunity to show them a piece of your childhood!
Tell Tom to invite Jim golfing next time, he'll be right on it!

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

How wonderful that you go to go home! The pictures say it all -- you enjoyed your visit!

Kass said...

I was so sad that you couldn't do Cancun with us. I'm glad you made up for it in a big way though. You & the fam look gorgeous in all the pictures. I'd love to be in on the next trip back!