Monday, February 8, 2010

Love Week

In the spirit of Valentine's day, if you want to join me in posting all the things you love, it is a fun project.  My friend Anny (who's blog is private) is doing this fun thing and I just had to join.  Who doesn't love to love and post about it?  Please...it's a no brainer♥


DAY1 - COOKING
I love to cook.  I also love to eat out but lately I have been loving my cooking more than eating out.  Strange I know but it's true.  It gives me a sense of pride to cook for my family and know that I have this skill.  I have even started making bread.  I made bread years ago but stopped when I broke my beloved kitchen-aid.  Those things are not made for bread, cookies-yes, bread-no.  I had to make a tough decision and cookies won.  I now have a new Blend-Tec mixer that helps me make bread and cookies.  It's a win-win!  Bread takes practice but I'm willing to put in the effort.


Tonight I made sweet and sour chicken and rice.  It was a major hit so I'm sharing the recipe so you can be MOM-OF-THE-NIGHT like me (wink).
Sweet and Sour Sauce
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. white vinegar
2/3 c. water
2 Tbsp. corn starch
4 Tbsp. ketchup
Mix all ing. together and cook till thick.
Sweet And Sour Chicken
sorry - I'm not a food photographer. 
It tasted much better than it looks!
Then I cooked some chicken in a skillet with salt, pepper and some soy sauce.  I I cut up the chicken into chunks, added chopped green bell peppers, chopped celery, sliced carrots, 1 can of pineapple chunks and some diced green onions.  Pour sauce over skillet and mix together.  Serve over rice.  De-lish!
Do you like my Japanese rice cooker?  
It's the best thing - I love it!!  
And I only use Calrose Rice - (Japanese rice)
I couldn't eat any other kind 
 Let's re-cap:
I love cooking and baking.  I love my new mixer.  I don't love making bread - yet, but I'm going to practice till I do.  I loved tonight's dinner and I love that everyone loved it too.  I love my rice cooker even though I can't read what it says since it's in Japanese and I love Calrose rice.  Oh and I love my friend Anny and think she's so fun for doing this love week thing!
Love Week - are you in?

9 comments:

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kass said...

mmmm. Makes me hungry seeing homemade bread & dinner! I will be trying that recipe. Thanks!

Anny said...

YEAH! I LoVe that you are doing love week! The bread does look yummy! Didn't I ever try and sell you on buying a Bosch mixer? The best! But it looks like you have it down, mmmmm. I love hot bread right out of the oven! Thanks for the recipe, I am always looking for great new ideas to feed my clan. Love YOU!

Erin said...

I just ran to the store and got my Calrose rice! I'm making this tonight! I'm following you exactly,but I might add a few water chestnuts. Thanks for the recipe.

Later today I'm posting a new roll recipe that is SO easy and DIVINE!!!

Mindy said...

I love the sweet and sour chicken recipe too. We just had it for dinner. YUM

Let Your Hair Down said...

And your bread is super yummy, too!! Thank you so much!! I am nervous my kitchen-aid is going to crash everytime I make bread. I think you are right, not for making bread.

Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) said...

Wow, that bread looks good! I need to cook more at home and eat out less...blogging isn't exactly helping me burn many calories these days. :-)

Erin said...

Cara, this was a hit. It was so yummy. I totally overate.

Oh, and the RICE! It was Heaven!

I got your email to late to know about the rinsing...but I do soak the rice for 30 minutes before I put it in the ricecooker. So heaven.

When I post about this I will link to you for sure!


I'm behind on the rollrecipe, but I will get it up!

Ros said...

K - YUM, I am so making this for my boy the asian food lover... maybe he'll serve in asia on his mission?