Sunday, March 7, 2010

52 Blessing Project

Tonight we went over to Grandma and Grandpas for dinner.  Just us.  no other Aunts or Uncles and no other grand-kids.  It was so nice.  We sat at the big table in the kitchen and ate chicken and rice.  You should have seen Amberly's face light up when grandma said "rice".  Amberly loves rice.  It's at the top of her favorite list.  And when I say rice I mean, plain ol' rice.  She could eat bowls of the stuff.

After dinner we played dice at the big table in the kitchen.  It was pouring rain outside with lightning and thunder.  It was cozy in the warm kitchen (almost too warm but that's how Grandma likes it) while we played.  Cassidy won, Amberly came in 2nd.  Tom was the chicken because he scratched so many times and came in last.  I rolled two straights in a row.  I don't think that has ever been done before - that's what Tom said anyway.  Grandma kept score and Grandpa smiled and played in his own quite way.

I'm thankful my kids have their Grandparents that they get to see and spend time with and have a close relationship with.  It breaks my heart that my parents aren't alive and my kids can't play with them, learn from them and their knowledge of the world.  I grew up with ONE Grandma that lived very far away and that we only saw for a few months every other year when she would come for a visit.  I loved her but it wasn't the same.  My kids are lucky to have Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles and a ton of cousins all here and close.

This week my blessing is Grandma and Grandpa.  
We love you and are so grateful for you.  

1 comment:

Crissybug said...

I was the same way. Both dad's parents died before I was born. I only had mom's mom. I am sure you already do, but talk about your parents often to your girls. My dad never talked about them, and I really wish that I knew more about them.

Grandparents are such wonderful blessings....so glad your girls have such a great pair to 'play' with.