Thursday, April 1, 2010

52 Blessing Project


Sunday we got out of Church early and decided it was a perfect day for a Sunday drive.  We hadn't had much family time this week and thought this would be a perfect way to spend time together without the normal distractions that always seem to get in the way. (T.V., Phone, Computer, napping etc).  We decided to head up to Globe which is about an hour away.  The girls were so excited for a road trip they ran to their rooms and grabbed pillows and blankets, books and stuffed animals. The back seat looked cozy and comfy.  They are very good road trippers.  No complaining, can entertain themselves and love to sleep.  

image from flicker

I was surprised with two things while on our trip.  1) I didn't get as stiff and sore like I normally do when I sit in the car for a long period of time.  It made the car ride very enjoyable.  Almost to the point that I considered driving to Missouri this summer instead of flying.  I'm not going to - I haven't lost my mind don't worry but it was a fleeting thought.  2) I was amazed at the beauty of the desert.  i will be the 1st to tell you that the desert is ugly.  I'm a California girl and after living in the most beautiful place on earth my whole life looking at a bunch of brown cactus isn't something to take your breath away.  But on that drive..............it was breathtaking.  Everything was GREEN!  I have never seen the desert green before.  All up and down the roads and the hills and even up the mountains of ROCKS were flowers!  Flowers people!  Bright beautiful FLOWERS.  It was an amazing sight that i am glad I got to see.  I will have to be kinder when I talk about the desert from now on.  It has shown me it's beauty and I will not be forgetting it anytime soon.

image from flicker
I hear they have the BEST Mexican food in the state but it being Sunday we didn't try it.  Next time it will be on our list for sure!  I'm thankful for where I live.  I'm thankful for the beauty of the desert.  I'm thankful my heart has been softened and I can see the beauty without missing home so much.  And I'm mostly thankful for my sweet family who I got to spend the day with in the car having the time of our lives!3

4 comments:

Kristi said...

Yep, there's nothing like the desert in bloom, gorgeous! Don't remember where I heard/read this exchange, but it's true:
AZ visitor: "When is the desert in bloom?"
Native: "Either Feb, Mar, or Apr, sometime in the next 4-5 years."
Haha too bad it's not more often!

Susie said...

Yay! We are heading to the Valley on Saturday for a warm up. Can you believe it snowed up here again!! Calgon take me away! I can't wait for the warm weather.

Anny said...

Wow what beautiful pictures! Glad you had a great drive. I was a little jealous since it has snowed all week, again :(

Kass said...

Amazing picts & I'm so glad you're feeling great. True-It's all about perspective, but I'm dying to get back to Cali someday too-at least for a visit :)