I love the plant called The Sweet Potato Vine. It's color is such a bright and cheery shade of green. Chartreuse really. It's also a very fast grower and loves the heat which is a bonus here in AZ. I likes full sun and shade - I'm telling you - this is the perfect plant!
Don't mind the picture - I am using my point and shoot and well.....the pictures just aren't as good as my old camera - RIP.
Want to know another great thing about this plant?
It's so easy to make another plant for you or a friend!
All you have to do it cut off 3-5 stems from the bottom of the vine.
They will look like this:
Then you will pull off the leaves leaving just a few at the very end. Put the stems in a glass of water on your counter and in one week you will have so many roots that have grown off of these vines you can plant them into a pot that needs a little bit of color. Like this:This is one week after I planted the vines in this pot.
They have already doubled in size and love their new home.
The best part.........it was FREE!!!!!
I just cut some more stems yesterday and today sent them home
with my neighbor in a glass of water so she can watch the magic happen.
Now go find a Sweet Potato Vine at the store
or from a friend and have some fun!
**Update**
If you give your neighbor some cuttings she may bring you over some
fresh-from-the-garden basil! I'd say that's a sweet trade!




4 comments:
THANK YOU for sharing that idea...I'm going to have to hit the nursery this week...
:)
I think those grow here too. Love the lime green color of them.
I LOVE sweet potato vine! My favorite color. I'll have to try the cuttings...
Thanks for the great idea. I will look for those too.
Post a Comment