Thursday, October 21, 2010

Slow and Simple


When Cassidy was little we had one car for about 2 years.  We don't like to use credit so for exact reasons I can't remember we were down to one car.  I'm not going to sugar coat it....it was hard.  I could take Tom to work on days that I needed the car but his work was about 30 min. away and we had to get up very early which meant I had to wake up my sleeping toddler and well....you get the idea....I didn't take him very often.  We also lived out in the country so there was no walking anywhere because there was no where to walk to.  I remember one night I went to Walgreen's to pick up a prescription and an hour later I came home.  I walked around and just looked at everything.  I don't think I had left the house in over a week!

This week (and last week and the weeks before) has been so busy.  I can hardly keep up with my own life it seems.  We were gone for 10 days and then BAM went right back to our crazy life with work, volunteering at the school, laundry, bill paying, homework, book club, after school activities and so on.  Today I crashed and fell asleep for two hours dead to the world!  Life had caught up with me.

That is when I thought back to my quiet life stuck at home with no car.  Was it better?  I'm not going to say it was but I will say it was calmer, quieter, peaceful.  I spent hours playing with Cassidy, watching movies with her instead of just sitting her in front of the TV, oh I had the most beautiful garden because I had time to take care of it.  Life was simpler.  I'm wishing for that right now.

I'm lucky that my girls are five years apart.  I feel like I was blessed to be able to have a lot of one on one time with each of them.  It also helped keep me home and my schedule from over filling.  When you have little ones you tend to shy away from an overly full day.  Now that they are bigger (11 and 6) and gone all day at school my days are filled up quickly.  I miss having a little one to keep me home and having a little buddy to play with.

My advice to you if your house is filled with little sweets.....enjoy it, savor it, and keep your life as slow as possible (even if you are going crazy).  It's so worth it!

♥♥♥♥♥
Love little things and strive for that which is modest and simple.
—-Elder Thaddeus

3 comments:

Jenifer said...

Oh thank you! I've been CRAZY the last four weeks. I needed this reminder. It was great to see you today!

Crazymamaof6 said...

it's it so true. at the time i had littles i couldn't wait for them to grow up thinking THAT had to be easier than going crazy all day home alone, elbow deep in bottles and diapers. and now? life is only more crazy and busier, scheduled to the hilt. and i don't consider myself an over scheduler. sigh. i miss the good old days where it was all about Barney movies and storytime.

Webb Family said...

It's funny when we are living our life we think about our past & miss it! I talked to my sister-in-law who is at the stage of "staying at home" & she said I need to get out of the house & I was complaining about living in my car.